Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving thanks in all things!

Last night we did a Family Home Evening on being Thankful. We read D&C 59:7 " Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things." When Bridger gave our closing prayer he prayed that he was thankful that Angeli was "sick" and that "her eyes were a little bit red." After his prayer I started to correct him and told him we don't thank Heavenly Father for things like being sick. But then that scripture sort of replayed in my mind. Stewart (via the cell phone) said he thought we should just let it go and let our son give "thanks [to] the Lord thy God in things". Later that night I began to think of how very grateful I was for some great blessings in my life that aren't really the most sot after things.

Familial Distance: Not living close to any family has been really good for us. We have become our own. We are more self sufficient and can throw together a wonderful Christmas dinner or Easter feast invite our ward family over and have a great time. We can turn to our friends for help. Before we always went to family but now we have to call on our friends and that has really made our relationships outside of our family so much stronger. Our ward really is like family to us. We look out for them and they look out for us.

Spousal Separation: People often say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Its true. I feel like our love for each other has tripled this year. Never before have I adored, cherished, and appreciated Stewart more. I feel every moment I have with him is a gift.

No Men Muscles: I have had to become more self sufficient and strong while Stewart is away. There is no waiting for Stew to come home to take out the mountain of trash, no "Daddy will fix it when he gets homes". Its just little old me. I have to say I feel really good about myself that I can be the daddy and the mommy when I have to be. Its not easy but I know when it is required of me I can step up to the plate and hit a home run.

Nomads: We have had more time with our family members this year then we have had in a long time. It was really good to have so much time to be with our loved ones. It was hard to be away and be scattered but it was nice to feel what it was like to live at home again. To help moms with dinner every night, to greet my dad when he came home late from work and to watch our kids get to know and love their grandparents, aunts, uncles,and cousins better. I cant imagine us having that opportunity in many other ways.

Poverty: We have always been frugal but since med school we had to learn to live on entirely new levels of frugality. It has been really good for us. We have come to appreciate the simple ways to have fun even more, to budget down to the penny, and how to find peace of mind with placing our money troubles on the Lord. He has always provided for us. Always.

Needing Miracles: Over the past years we have really needed miracles. Never before have I seen so many small and large miracles. I know we are as well off as we are today because of the miracles that happen on a daily basis. Unexpected checks that come just in time, packages filled with clothes for the kids, cars given to us, friends calling right on cue to offer to watch the kids, Christmas mysteriously delivered to our doorstep, praying for clients and then getting phone calls the next day, ward members helping us build a fence donating dozens of hours and tools making the impossible a reality,... Every step of the way miracles have been getting us through. The faith we have grown from that is tremendous. These miracles are edifying and extremely humbling.

Endless School: Our entire married life has been governed by our school schedule. It has been nice to have a husband in school. He is always learning and able to work toward something he cares deeply about. Its a little lame to be working at a huge loss, but it is so rewarding to know we are going somewhere and not at a stand still.

There are so many things that are not the sort of things people day dream about but when they enter our lives they eventually leave us stronger, better, and happier. I am thankful for all these things because they add up to today and I really do believe that today is the greatest.

0 comments: