Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Life =Toddlers

My Life is completely run by my toddlers. I am totally at their mercy! I really do adore my kids and love my life but it wouldn't hurt if it was a little less 'toddlerie' . :o) I thought that parenting was about teaching your kids...I was wrong, its really about your kids teaching you how to be a good parent. I am learning lessons from them everyday and no matter how much I try it seems I can never really quite learn the lessons well enough because I keep stepping up on the same things!!! Someday when they are grown I hope they don't remember these sort of days when their mom is, well... crazy! :O)

Here is a window into my toddler world. To me toddlers are well defined as little people with too much brawn, too much brain and not enough commonsense. Today I came upon a great example of this. As we were driving home from the only place I shop at ( sadly that means Walmart) I was completely enthralled in the NPR discussion on gas prices - I had recently filled up our van for the first time, big $$$$$. While I zoned everything out I heard Bridger say "Uh, Oh!". Knowing how he says that at just about everything he deems out of place or order I totally ignored it. But then I noticed in my rear view mirror his little head bouncing up and out of view. I turned back and there he was jumping in his car seat! He had totally unbuckled his car seat by himself and was now jumping up and down in his seat. I was on the freeway and the next exit was our exit so I just had to try and tell him to sit in his seat while he laughed at his new found freedom. All I can say is that my son obviously has way to much brawn and brain and not enough commonsense!!! Lets hope he gains some more commonsense real fast. :O)

7 comments:

Becca said...

Oh I can just picture Bridger doing that, and It makes me smile. I know it probably didn't make you smile to much but he's adorable!! These toddler days won't last forever and your are doing a great job with it. Your kids are lucky to have you as their mommy!! I'm lucky to have you as my sister.
Love Ya!

Mallory said...

Ahh! After my initial freak out I had to laugh. Its crazy the things these little guys can figure out. I'm glad you were so close to home and that everyone made it there safe and sound.

Kirsten said...

I know this is beyond the subject, but don't you love how much it costs to fill a mini van!?!? I do too! So does our wallet! Bridger is growing up! Just wait until his sidekick gets wind of it too!! ;) just kidding! Luv ya lots! Hope you are having a great day and let me know when you hear anything about Bridger. He was in our fast yesterday....

Emily Rasmussen said...

thanks Kirsten :O) it will be awhile its the last week of the month when he has appointment. I am not sure if they will really be able to give us answers then. But at least things are progressing in that direction. Stew's going to give him a blessing tonight. Bridger has been having a hard time lately...I love ya! :O)

Andelin said...

Cute boy! Sorry. It's hard to have one toddler, but two is absolute insanity! At least it was for me. Good luck! It's a challenge, but their cuteness, innocense, sweetness, softness, smiles and fun (and daily conversations with your sister) gets you through it with smiles! It's worth it, I'm sure you agree!...but, Oooh, so hard... :-)

the Hurleys said...

Emily, I just got back from speech with Gwen and I just have to tell you everything is going to be all right. I know where you are now (I bawled after every evaluation), but now after a year of speech therapy I can look back at my old self and say, "Relax!" Nothing any social scientist can tell you about your child will change who they are. You know what a great little person Bridger is and you will continue to marvel at him as he grows and develops. Your job is to continue being his biggest fan --that is what he needs the most from you. Don't let your stressing make him feel like he is not doing a good job at life. His self esteem is so moldable right now. That is what I'd tell my old self. "Just love, Gwen! Don't take counsel from your fears." It is hard to see that this is a temporary situation, but in the words of Gwen's speech therapist, "Speech is so superficial." (translation: your kid is smart) :) I love you!
Anj

Emily Rasmussen said...

Thanks Anj. I gave Stew a pep talk last night and it was along those lines. I also told him, don't worry we have Anj to blaze the trail. I swear the best thing about being the youngest is I gain so much from all your life experiences. :o) I am feeling relived that we have the evaluation coming. It puts most of my worries to ease. It's just hard when you see its hard for them. We really are doing really well with it we just have our moments when we freak out. But then time passes and we wonder what the big deal was.

I saw a baby at the park that looked so much like your babies that I got really homesick for you. I wanted to go hug her but that would have been really weird for her and her mom! :O) So give your kids a kiss for me! I miss you.