Monday, March 31, 2008

Body Love!

"In parenting, I have lost my mind but found my soul."

I found that on a blog and loved it. It made me laugh and also got me reflecting on how I have lost my mind since having kids and how I have found my soul as well. I could ramble on about how my mind is pretty much shot but I would rather talk about how I think part of my soul was found. Yes, this is another one of my long rambling escipades ! :O) If you have had enough of my blogging therapy feel free to skip this post. :O)

I think the statement could also be posed as

"In motherhood I have lost my body but found I could love it."

This is how Bridger helped me find my soul and some major body love. I had major body issues since I was a little little girl. That has been my arena of serious "lostness". I can show you pictures taken of me pre-kindergarten and reminisce on how when that picture was taken I was sucking in my tummy and worrying about how fat and ugly I was. Isn't that the most depressing thing ever?!? You can imagine that I didn't have much of a chance of a good body image when puberty hit in fifth grade. I pretty much loathed my body. I did the whole anorexia, bulimia, and obsessive exercise thing through most of middle school and high school. My Junior year I had enough and I let it go as much as I could. Life continued, I got married and felt much much better. However, at times I still felt a bit of disgust for my body. Then one day in a moment of pure shock I found out I was pregnant. Being pregnant was great and so happy but also odd. It was like going through puberty all over again. I felt so out of control of my body and it got weirder and weirder month by month. Deep down I knew it would be worth it but at times that "knowledge" was more of a hope then a fact. I saw countless women around me who hated their bodies even more after pregnancy left it "ravages" (very dramatic I know). :-) I never wanted to hate my body like I once had. In the end it was a love hate relationship. I loved that I was growing a baby and feeling the awesomeness of it all but in all honesty when you feel 100 years old and 500 lbs. it's a little un-awesome.

But that all changed in one moment. When I heard my son cry for the first time and my husband kissed my forehead with tears streaming down his face all the years of body hate vanished. I simply fell in love with my body. All of my sham and incsecerities melted away. I sat there basically naked as naked can be beaming with joy and amazement that I had made my little baby boy and that I had brought him into this world. I look back at the pictures taken then and I don't think I have ever looked worse in my life :O) but honestly I have never felt more beautiful. I knew then that I had a truly divine nature. I believd for the first time that I was endlessly wonderful, capable, loved, and beautiful. I was healed. YAY! I loved my outside as much as I loved my inside. I found my body and soul when I found my Bridger. Go Bridge Man! :O)

Today with another baby added to the mix and my body gaining lovely varicose veins, stretch marks, cellulite, bad knees, an aching back, and 15 pounds in the past six months :o) the profoundness of my body loving moment can be dimmed in my memory when I let it. But underneath it all I feel so much appreciation and love for my body. I thought I couldn't love my body until I got it exactly how I wanted it-well, if that were true I'd would still be waiting for the resurrection! I was wrong all along. I can love my very un-perfect body now because my body gave my children their bodies! I will never get over that. All women are so wonderful that they are built to do that! I hope I will never enter that dark place of body hate again. My body is sacred, beautiful and a profound blessing.

With all that being said, mommies and all women out there, please please remember how beautiful, sacred, and perfect you are even without being.... well...perfect! I hope we can all agree that motherhood hasn't just made us all lose our minds and bodies but, more importantly it helped us find some soul and body love! :O)

10 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the magic and sacred adventure of becoming a mother. It can be such a hard thing in our society to really accept and love our bodies as women. It seems like we are always bombarded with the message that we are never good enough. I hope that you can feel God's unconditional love for you. I know I struggle with feeling the kind of love He has for me sometimes. I have my own weaknesses and imperfections that I am painfully aware of, mostly my disorganization and my anxiety issues. They definitely are the thorns in my side. Thank you for sharing so many very personal thoughts. I think it's so healing to share our struggles and our victories with each other. We all have them.

Anne Marie said...

And by the way, I love the new layout!

Beth said...

Emily,
Great post. I, too, after having had children, appreciate my body so much more than before. But I don't think I've quite reached your level of thinking yet.
After I lost my baby weight with Lincoln I was just so grateful to look like a normal person again, and knowing Joel loves me really and doesn't see my physical flaws too much helps me to forget about them as well.
I still lament from time to time how stretched out my body is and how haggard my face looks from getting up with kids every night, but it was like a revelation to me when I realized that my body was fulfilling the purpose it was given to me for: to be a mother. I'm not on earth so that I can look like I am 21 for the rest of my life. I'm not supposed to freak out about every pound, wrinkle, and sag and I'm not supposed to spend all my money on "procedures" to keep me looking young. My body is my vehicle to serve the Lord, my family and others. That idea has helped me to stop thinking as much about how I look...but I still obsess...I'm working on it.
P.S. I am often jealous that you still look like a swimsuit model after two kids, but that's my problem, not yours.
P.P.S. How do you do a customized layout like this? I'm sick the template options.

Emily Rasmussen said...

I go this new template from leeloublogs.blogspot.com and my last one was from pyzam.com. It is a bit annoying to change because everything you have on your side bar is erased and you have to reenter it. I saved it on a word doc and then did a ton of copy and pasting which I am sure there is an easier way but I am not computer/blog savvy enough to know about it. Thanks Beth!

CAMI said...

Ok I cant see how you hate your body- you have always looked awesome to me- I was jealous of how skinny you are! On top of that i do understand the sucking in when your only 10 thing! But I to despite the veins and saggy jelly belly and lopsided boobs luv my body with a new love- that I can feed my baby and that I made her- I always have moment where I just stare at her and cant believe she grew in my body- then I say a lil prayer and thank my father for that miracle!

Emily Rasmussen said...

I wanted to add. Once while I complained about my body to my mom she suddenly got serious and wasn't her joking self and said, "Honey, I gave you your body and I think it is perfect. I wish you saw what I saw. I wish you thought it was good enough. You are simply perfect to me." All the sudden I saw it from a mother's perspective. The thought of Bridger or Angeli ever complaining about their bodies is so disturbing and sad. I hate that they might not see what I see, pure unique, lovely, adorable, beauty! Imagine what it is like when we complain to Heavenly Father. How ungrateful and sad. I guess that's why we get to be parents! when our daughters complain that their tummies are flabby and hate their Rasmussen hips we'll really learn our lesson. :O)

Becca said...

Em, I totally love this. I went through the whole eating disorder thing in high school also and it is just now that I am coming to love my body, even without kids. I just can't get over how perfect all of our bodies are, because they were part of what we were fighting for in pre-mortal life. Do you ever think about that? Part of this whole plan of salvation thing was getting a BODY! That's a big deal! And Satan will never have one, which is why he wants kids, especially adolescents, everywhere to hate theirs. And he'll never have a family, which is why he tries so hard to destroy the family.

Awesome insight - I am such a fan of your blog :)

Andelin said...

You rock, Emily!!!

Andelin said...

Great insights and I agree, we are beautiful daughters of God and our bodies are so miraculous! :-) I'm glad to hear you say that you are loving your body! So good! :-)

Jim and Lori Olson said...

Emily

You really do have a way with words. I think this could be in one of those feel good inspirational books for women. I know what you mean about worrying about how your body looks. I remember being amazed how unconcered I was about my body after having a baby, and just realizing that I have a body that works and I am grateful for it.