I wasn't sure if I would blog about this but then I started to listen to "Say" by John Mayer (first song playing on my blog) and started to think that perhaps my sharing this might help someone else out there. So here is a little window into some of the trials that have been weighing heavily on my heart.This says what I want to say:
byEmily Perl Kingsley
"I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......
When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."
"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.
But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland."
Bridger had an evaluation with Nevada's Early Childhood Intervention Services and he has "qualified". We are still in the process of getting an actual diagnosis but they determined that he has areas that he is certainly not developing correctly. They pinpointed his communication skills and social interpersonal skills as his areas where he is very behind. We have been preparing for this day for what seems like months and so this was not a big shock. However, as a parent the worst thing to hear is that something is wrong with your child, so yes, this is not easy nor will it ever be without struggle. Despite the heartache, what we feel, above any other feeling is great peace. Yesterday we were able to fast and go to the temple. We knew then, as we do today, that everything will be okay. We know without any hesitation that we love our Bridger and he is one of the greatest miracles, blessings, and joys we have ever been given. He is delightful, expressive, fun, and a very loving little man who loves life and makes ours better everyday. We are beginning to see with greater scope that this "Reno" chapter of our lives has very little pretense of being easy on us, but today we have total peace....we love our Holland whatever that means.
8 comments:
so sorry to hear about all of this, but just think he has two loving parents that are so willing to help him with whatever he needs, plus there are tons of famous people, one comes to mind, rulon gardner, olympic champ and a member of the church that had to over come so many learning disabilities and challenges, but he worked hard and is a very successful man, he gives inspirational talks all over, and I read one of his books, he went through a lot, but with a lot of hard work he overcame them.
I have a little cousin that has been going through autism testing, It isn't easy, but if you know what needs to be done then you can help them learn and grow so much better. You will be in our prayers. Bridger is adorable and looks like such a sweetheart!!! (and when we have a little boy, his name will be bridger, If Cambree was a boy her name was going to be bridger, love it!)
What I have to say I'll tell you on the phone, but know that I love you and your family!
I'm sorry to hear about your sad news. That must have been so difficult to have your worries and concerns confirmed. But, thank you for sharing - I'm so grateful to hear of your sweet confidence and wonderful trust that everything will be okay. I hope that you're able to find some great help and support out there! Your little ones are sure lucky to have you.
Emily,
You are BY FAR one of the strongest women I have ever known. I love that you are not afraid to say, "I am really struggling with this, and I don't get it, but I know we are blessed." I really admire you so much. Bridger could not have come to two more loving parents, or a more loving family as a whole. Thank you for your wonderful example.
love you,
becca
Emily, Good luck in all that's ahead of you. As a Special Ed teacher, I still don't know anything compared to a parent who is going through this. But I did want to say that a lot of kids outgrow their developmental delays, while most others learn coping strategies that compensate for any "deficiencies" that they have. Bridger has the best parents in the world who will advocate for his best medical and educational needs, so he has nothing to worry about.
My little nephew who just turned three qualified for early intervention services because at two and a half he still didn't say ANYTHING, just a bunch of gibberish. After just a couple months of speech therapy he's totally up-to-date in his abilities and his speech therapists say that if he were referred now he wouldn't qualify for ANY services because of how much he's progressed. All it took for him was the right intervention and a little education for his mom to know how to teach this child differently from her other kids. Anyway, just don't be sad about it, because you've got such a great kid and great resources to draw from!
Love you,
Beth
Amen to what Beth said. And just rely on the feelings you've had from the spirit. It's all okay. He's still the sweet Bridge-man we all love and you're still the mom that I wish I was. This is all a step forward, not back and we're all here to help with prayers, advice, love, laughter or whatever you need. Just not money, I don't think any of us have that. :-) I love you Emily!
I love the trip to Holland. There are BEAUTIFUL and amazing sites in Holland! Even if it's the road less traveled, doesn't make it less wonderful!
Wishing you the best. The Lord will be behind you 100%.
Post a Comment