Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Y" I still got it


When I moved to Utah for school my freshman ward did a hike to the "Y". I got it stuck in my head that I was going to run it someday. It took me a couple weeks to get used to the elevation but soon I was running from Hinckley Hall to the tippy top of the Y every Saturday. I was in the best shape. I would power up not just the switchbacks but the long road and steep hills just to get to the trail head like it was a walk in the park. But soon it was Fall and with school and cold weather my running the Y stopped. I gained 20 pounds got married and for a couple years wondered if I'd ever make it back up to the top of the Y. After having Bridger I began training to run it but finding a free Saturday with us both in full time school and with a new baby it was hard. Just as I was starting to run/hike the Y again I found out I was pregnant. So after Angeli was born I knew I had to run it again to prove to myself that I was not going to become a frumpy mom at 22. I worked hard and got back in shape and ran the Y again. I found it was sort of too easy. So I started running from the creamery on 9th to add to the degree of difficulty. I wanted to run from Hinckely Hall again but I had some vein surgeries and we moved before I could. So two years later, living a state away, and another baby added to the mix I wondered if it would ever happen again. A couple weeks ago I told Stewart that next time we made it to Utah I was going to try and run the Y once more thinking that opportunity was really far away. But over the 4th we found ourselves in Utah. Keeping true to my word the morning of the 4th I woke up at 5:30 am, threw on my running clothes, and gave it my best effort. I thought I would not be able to do it. BUT I totally did it! And it was easy! It took me 38 minutes to get to the top. I got to the last switchback and realized I was almost there and sprinted the last bit. I was so excited that I could do it. After six years and giving birth to three kids I still got it! I haven't totally lost touch with that young totally in shape girl who met and hooked my hubby. And knowing that somehow means a lot to me. Knowing that I can set and accomplish goals that seem at best difficult, with many obstacles, and lots of potential excuses means something to this frumpy mom at 24. Heck, not only can I climb mountains I can run them.:)

1 comments:

Becca said...

You are insane and I am SO jealous! Haha.

I remember Seth or someone telling me once that you ran the Y every morning and I said, "I think you must be misunderstanding her."

I made it to the top of the Y twice - WALKING - and breathing reeeally hard at that. :) I used to blame it on being from LV/low elevation. Eventually ran a (as in ONE) 10K in Provo, but definitely can't do the mountains.

I seriously admire you. Oh, and thanks for the permission to mourn my husband's absence. I give you the same permission. :) And I adore you.