Sunday, November 23, 2008

Me and My Ensign

My favorite thing to read these days is the Ensign. To be honest it is about the only thing I read besides emails, blogs, and my bills. However, I especially love the conference talks. Today I found a rare moment to myself where I could quietly lay down on my bed and read from the Conference talks published in this months Ensign. I really loved the talk given by Elder L. Tom Perry entitled Let Him Do It with Simplicity. This little part seemed to touch my heart to the point of busting out the highlighter.

"One of the challenges of this mortal experience is to not allow the stresses and strains of life to get the better of us—to endure the varied seasons of life while remaining positive, even optimistic. Perhaps when difficulties and challenges strike, we should have these hopeful words of Robert Browning etched in our minds: “The best is yet to be” (“Rabbi Ben Ezra,” in Charles W. Eliot, ed., The Harvard Classics, 50 vols. [1909–10], 42:1103). We can’t predict all the struggles and storms in life, not even the ones just around the next corner, but as persons of faith and hope, we know beyond the shadow of any doubt that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and the best is yet to come."

The best is yet to come. I think that has become my own personal motto the past year or so and I will have to remember to keep it foremost in my life perspective. It is my silver lining, my anchor when the storms gather. What a tremendous blessing to know that while we may have to pass through the darkest of times that no matter how dark it gets we have the reassurance that further down the path greater happiness then we can imagine await us.

I am so very grateful for my life and all that blesses it. I have everything I want and more. I am so grateful that I have been given the Gospel. I owe all my joy to the truth of the Gospel being present in my life. And knowing I can give the knowledge of the Gospel to my children is the greatest reassurance to me as a mother. That life, no matter how hard for them, will be joyous too because they know of Christ.

0 comments: