Wednesday, January 9, 2008

More of my Theoretic Rambling: Enduring to the End

I took a Religion class at BYU that really changed the way I looked at the world concerning "enduring to the end". Here is the preface... I came into this world with a very dramatic outlook. I really think I was born with a testimony and my family can tell you story after story of how my dramatic-faithful side was displayed throughout my childhood. Due to my dramatic "Righteous" disposition to be a religious "standard for truth" I was happy to find myself with all the purpose I wanted growing up as I was one of the only LDS people in my elementary, middle and high school. It was all about black and white decisions; about standing up against evil. When I graduated I was worn out of that and really just wanted to be me without having to fight for truth all the time and never really being able to put my guard down. So once at BYU I was in heaven and I was excited to date guys that were thinking about their missions and education instead of more... sexy things :0). But I met Stew, a RM, who was thinking a lot about eternal things and we were engaged and married halfway through my freshmen year. I found myself in a whole new world that I was a bit uncomfortable with. I was in Happy Valley, at the "Lord's University", and already in the "endure to the end" phase of life at age 19! I had always been ready to say no to evil and proclaim truth and now I was hanging out with a bunch of temple sealed people who were worried about their majors and when to have babies. This caused a bit of a crisis for me because I had to redefine myself and find something to be dramatic and totally passionate about and my major, history, only got me so far. So time passed and I was coming to terms with this new "easy" and somewhat comfortable new take on life when I took my life perspective changing Religion class. :0)

It was a Pearl of Great Price class that was only for returned missionaries and Endowed students. So it was a little higher/deeper level stuff. As we discussed Adam and Eve's decision to eat the fruit the teacher told us one simple truth that totally applied to my life and helped me see my life with new importance, excitement, and clarity. This is it and its not that profound but at the time it was for me; "The Hardest choices me make in life are not between Good and Evil but rather between Good and Good." Adam and Eve weren't being asked if they wanted to serve Satan or God but really which commandment of God's would they follow; Good verses Good.

So here is my big point.... as we face our "endure to the end" lives we are not just cruising along but rather taking part in the most important hardest test of our lives. We must ask questions like: will we go to med school in Utah or Reno, will we move to California or stay put, will we have our next child in a year or nine months from now, which residency will we take, which job will we take, more school or start working...? These don't seem very dramatic at face value but what makes them so important is that they demand us to get down on our knees and ask our Father to guide us. We have to think for ourselves, we have to get personal inspiration, we have to chose goods that wont make sense to anyone else, we have to go out on faith more then we ever thought we could, and these decisions wont make it in the Ensign or New Era like a girl telling her city counsel that abortion is bad will, but they will bring us closer to God and make enduring more then just that.

There aren't many choices more profound then Adam and Eves and so you see I found my drama! I had not passed it in my teenager years of endless young women lessons on getting married in the temple, but rather it has just begun! And it is so much more fun then I ever thought possible! So way to go us, we are the real ones changing the world no matter what goods we are choosing between!

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Emily...thank you...I needed this. I have been having a hard time lately. I think everyone knows that with this whole residency thing. It is a lot harder than I ever imagined. Three times harder than medical school. I think it is because I know we were sent all the way to Ohio and now I know Heavenly Father is willing to send us anywhere!! You made me realize though, we are choosing between a lot of goods, not a whole bunch of bads that we are just going to get stuck with. Thank you for being answer to a prayer this week and for making feel like we have to make choices for ourselves but we do have help with that matter and it is going to be ok. Good luck with everything, especially this weekend. Hopefully everyone is feeling better-even you! Good luck at the Babies R US thing tomorrow!

Emily Rasmussen said...

Kirsten,I am glad it was a help, Stew told me my entry was "weird" so I was feeling a little paranoid about it. Thanks for making it have a reason to be written. :0) I hope the babies R Us thing gives me some business because we could use it!!! Our loan we got for this semester has to stretch 8-9 months when the same amount hardly made it five months this past semester! And I thought Stew would work this summer but it is looking less and less like that will be an option. I guess it is all about faith. The Lord has always provided for us just look at all the charity of our family and friends! It just stinks when buying $2 dish soap hurts the bank! :0) Love ya! Emily

Suzie said...

I think this is some wonderful insight. For the most part it is easy to recognize the bad and not choose it. The challenge comes when we have to choose between the good and the better. It's easy to fill our lives with good things and miss the best things. Thanks for the reminder.