Monday, April 13, 2009

Celebrating Easter

It was a really happy Easter. I am so very grateful for our Savior who paid the price for our redemption. As I have studied my scriptures and the Ensign this past month I have been so touched to think of what the Atonement means to me personally. I am so very grateful for the Savior who heals all my heart aches making it possible I can be made whole time and time again. To have never fading hope in this life and for all eternity is my most cherished gift.

When we did our family scripture study this week we tried to teach the kids about the meaning of Easter. Bridger asked, "Jesus makes my broken heart all better?"
I replied, "Yes, Bridger. Jesus makes our broken hearts and all our owies all better so we can be happy again."
Bridger then exclaimed, "Jesus makes my heart and owies all better!?!?! Yay, Jesus!"

Yes, Bridger. Yay for Jesus! ;)

Our celebrations were really fun and honestly sort of a blur of happy goings, comings, and parties. Last night as I sat back to review our Easter experience for this year I realized how very grown up I felt. This was our second year totally on our own for Easter and while we were a little homesick ever since conference we really felt so very grateful to have to do our own thing. I guess when there was always a parent, a grandparent, or a big sister around we seemed to just follow what the "grown-ups" were doing and let them take care of everything. But not anymore, its all on us and we really have come to appreciate that fact. Here are some highlights:

We colored eggs twice. Once with our own little family and then with some friends. The kids call it "painting eggs" and they loved it. They have been obsessed with colors lately so this activity was right up their ally.

We went to my girl friend's annual Easter party which was really fun. The kids did an Easter egg hunt and played like kids should while the parents chatted and Stew got his Foosball on! ;)


Then we had our Easter morning which was so great seeing the kids excitement getting their Easter baskets and hunting for the eggs.

Their dumped out Easter baskets
(bless the Dollar store! )


Then ofter church we invited a bunch of people over for an nice Easter dinner. I think I forget how small our house was when I invited people because we had 11 adults and 8 kids crammed in our house. Despite our squishiness we had a great time. Growing up with such big families we sort of don't feel like we have really celebrated unless we are surrounded by twenty people. :) And what was really great was that people got to go in our backyard, our ward feels a little proud of our fence because they have all helped to build it. They come over and want to check it out and comment on its "beauty". It will be great when the fence in 100% complete and we have our patio. Then it wont be nearly as tight with so many people over.



One thing that really made my Easter was that my dear friend and neighbor Emily came to our dinner. I wasn't sure she would come since she is in the advanced stages of MS and is confined to a wheel chair but she called to say she was taking me up on my offer and came. The men folk helped carry her into our house and I think she felt right at home. She needs help eating and so I know she gets a little nervous accepting dinner invitations but she came, loved the food and we talked the night away. I really love that women. I hope she makes it a tradition to come every year.

We hope you all had a great Easter too!

3 comments:

Andelin said...

Adorable family! Love the Easter outfits! You look great too! Love you!

Kip and Lindsay said...

Emily, you are already looking so skinny! Way to go...I should just eat what you eat, and follow your exercise program! Also, the kids Easter outfits are adorable! So cute! Thanks for posting about your cute fam!

Anne Marie said...

Beautiful, beautiful family! Sounds like it was a magical Easter.