Monday, February 23, 2009

"Quotable Quotes"

When I was dating Stewart and we were planning on getting married I found this"Quotable Quote" in the Daily Universe (BYU's news paper). I cut it out of the paper and taped it to my wall in the dorms. When I moved to the next dorm it survived, when we moved to the duplexes it survived, when we moved to Reno it survived. It has been six years since I cut out this quote. Now it is brown and stiff from dried spilt soda but it still has its home right next to my computer. It struck me as I picked it up off the floor, along with all the other pieces of paper my kids threw about, just how long it has survived. Against all odds it still exists and perhaps it has done so for a reason. I read it every couple of months and once again it touches my heart but always with a little more meaning then the last time. I cherish that it still has paint from the walls of the now non-existent U-Hall on its back. It reads,

"A marriage may not always be even and incident-less, but it can be one of great peace. A couple may have poverty, illness, disappointment, failures, and even death in the family, but even these will not rob them of their peace. The marriage can be successful so long as selfishness does not enter in."

Spencer W. Kimball

Peace resonates with me. I am always drawn to people who create peace. That's why I fell in love with Stewart. He gave me peace when I thought I might never find it. Today reading about how I can always have that even if he is far from me for extended periods of time settled my heart and gave me what I needed. Peace.

I think it could also be written,

"Life may not always be even and incident-less, but it can be one of great peace. A person may have poverty, illness, disappointment, failures, and even death in the family, but even these will not rob them of their peace. Life can be successful so long as selfishness does not enter in."

1 comments:

Becca said...

this is another reason why i love you. i remember visiting you at u-hall the night after you got engaged. :) i admire you so much and i truly look up to you.