Friday, February 1, 2008

I'm One of Those People

I am one of those people that isn't really great at anything. I don't think there is anything I do that most all people couldn't surpass if they tried. And during my adolescent years when you are so defined by what you are good at this was hard for me. I took singing lessons - a flop, I took art lessons- no talent there!, I took piano for 5/6 years- I cant even play primary songs, I have never gotten straight "A"s- never!!!!, I love to write but can hardly spell, I love to run but go about 10 minute miles on a good day,.... and I could go on. However, at this point in my life I have come to realize that this isn't what matters. When my life is over I don't want people to say, "Man, that girl could paint", or "Wow, She was the best singer." but rather I'd like others to simply say I made the world a better place.

Many use their talents like painting and singing to make the world better, and that is great for them, but that is not how it is for me. I think at times its my lack of talents that brightens the world! :o) I always joke that my mission in life is to make others feel good about themselves when they realize it could be worse...they could be like me. A little Eeyore-ish I know, but never the less it is true. :o) Whitney (my sweet sister-in-law) can attest to my ability to make anyone feel like they could go to the Olympics after playing sports with me, or that they could join MOTAB after overhearing me sing in church. I really am fine with that because I realize the Lord only requires of me to do my best no matter how meager that might be and somehow despite myself I can bring about some good. I find this way of thinking rather liberating and reassuring.

The World tries to tell you that you have to be the smartest, the richest, the most beautiful, have the smartest kids, be the most involved in humanitarian work.... and many of the things you can put 'most' in front of are good, but our happiness is thwarted when me are tricked into thinking we have to be the 'most' and 'best'. If only we all realized that those of us with the lest talents can still do profound things with our lives. Its who we are that makes the difference and not what "bests" we have. Christ might have been the best at wood working but He was not remembered for his wood work, but rather how He changed and saved the world.

My mom, knowing me very well, sent me a little handout she had gotten in Relief Society. It simply said "You are doing the best you can, and that is good enough!" I hung it on our fridge for years. Basically everything I do in my life will be humbling and at the very lest human, but I hope that when it is all said and done people will think I made their little world a little brighter with the Lord's help.

All the people I adore and love I do because they are simply them and true to that. My dad is my hero not because he saved lives as a surgeon but rather because he was always humble and kind, I love my husband not because he gets 'A's but because he gives me his heart, I love my kids not because they are in the whatever % but because they are mine. And none of these people would have to show me their talents and abilities but rather just be them and I will be better from it.

So next time you and I feel inadequate, humble, and less then 'most' or 'best' remember in the end that really has nothing to do with what makes you able to brighten the world. In fact you are probably brightening the world whether you like it or not. :o)

2 comments:

Becca said...

Emily,
I often times feel the same way. I try not to compare myself to others but I still do. I am pretty average at everything and below average at other things, but I'm grateful for your thoughts, when ever I talk to you, you make me feel good. You are a very talented and kind person. I'm grateful that you are my sister and my friend and we can be here to lift each other up. You are amazing, don't forget it!!!
Love ya tons!
Becca

the Hurleys said...

There are two ways to go about developing talents. The first way is to choose one thing and work with extreme dedication to be the best that you can at it. We all know people like this --their talent puts everyone else's efforts to shame. The other is to try a lot of things, gaining a lot of experience and fun out of trying new things. Both have merit. The later is the one our parents obvoiously valued more (look at their own lives) and the way we were raised. I wish I was better at singing, art, dance, piano, cooking, etc. etc., however I've never been disciplined enough to truely excel at anything. But to be honest, which of my very many pursuits would I give up so that I could be great at the other? None! And I figure life is long --by the end of it perhaps I will be truely great at something --look at Mom and her sewing, cooking, decorating, etc. I think it is important to just not look at talents as something you develop while you are growing up --but that you should always be trying to learn and grow. (Again, look at our parents' lives.) Even someone who has develped an amazing ability to play an instrument (for example), will need to continue to develop that skill if they want to keep it. Anjanae