Today we realized we need to bust out our "Harness Buddie" again. We ventured to Target today to try and get Angeli new church shoes. She has recently decided to have a feet growth spurt leaving her shoes all obsolete. After finding a nice pair we liked we took our time window shopping at toys and such. As we made our way to the check-out Stewart informed me that Bridger had just run off. He left me with Angeli and Benjamin and went after him. I didn't think much of it. Anyone who knows my son knows this sort of thing happens all the time. But as the minutes ticked by without my husband returning with Bridger I started to get nervous. Finally when Stewart did return one look at his face told me he couldn't find Bridger. I told him I would stand by the doors to make sure he wasn't taken out of the store and that he should keep looking. As I stood there trying to keep track of every one going in and out of the store I began to panic. I realized I could not ensure my son's safety. Someone could easily grab my son and sneak him out of the store and I might never see my son again. I was too afraid to leave my post by the door to get an employee to inform them that they needed to start a Code Adam ( as I had learned all about in my Babies R Us days) in fear that I might miss him exiting with some "bad guy", as we call them in our house. The minutes kept passing and my panic and fear kept growing. Finally an employee passed by close enough for me to get their attention without me having to shout. I told the teenager looking guy that my husband and I had lost our son and couldn't find him. His look in response was sort of confused.
I then said "I think you NEED to alert a Code Adam,...Now".
He stared at me sort of unsure and when I was about to give him stronger orders he said,
"Ok, hold on" and walked away.
He then returned and started asking me questions about Bridger. Within minutes the store was a buzz. Red shirted employees seemed to appear out of the wood-work all talking into the intercom and their walkie- talkies in search of our Bridger. As I stood there for over 20 minutes all the possible scenarios passed through my mind. I tried not to cry but I couldn't help it. The mere thought that I was powerless to find and protect my son was terrible. Stewart appeared the third time with worry all over his face. Seeing me wiping away tears he asked if I wanted to try and find him while he stayed with the kids. I gladly accepted. It felt better to be in action trying to get to my son then just standing there. As I almost rounded the huge store's final corner an employee stopped me and informed me that Bridger was "with his father". I wanted to run to the front of the store but instead I walked as quickly as I could trying to sooth myself repeating in my mind over and over again, "It's ok. He is ok. 'He's with his father' ".
Seeing my family all together and safe was such a relief. Stewart told me that an employee had found him hiding under a clothes rack. Stewart said the most disturbing part of the whole thing to him was how happy Bridger was as they carried him. Our friendly little man would have happily gone with anyone. All smiles and no trace of concern as three strangers had plucked him off the store floor and carried him off. As we reunited we tried talking to Bridger about how dangerous it is to run away for mommy and daddy but he acted like he had no idea what we were talking about. I asked him several times,
"Do you want a bad guy to steal you and take you away from mommy and daddy?"
And he replied with a sly smile, "Yes!".
Finally I said, "What if Angeli ran away and we couldn't find her. Would that be scary?"
He replied in a very concerned voice, "Yes."
"Wold you want a bad guy to steal Angie?" "Nooooo."
Somehow thinking about loosing Angie made it real to him. We then had a long lecture with Angeli as our spring board. Feeling relieved that he finally gained some understanding of the seriousness of the situation I informed him that we weren't going anywhere without his MONKEY from then on!!!!
His replied in a very defeated voice,"Oh..."
2020 goals
6 years ago
3 comments:
How scary!!! i can't even imagine how I would have reacted. Definitely not as well as you had...I would have been hysterical! What a scary moment for your family! But i am glad all is okay and Bridger is back with his mommy and daddy!
So scary!!! I would have been completely hysterical. What a relief to find him!
Oh man! I hear you on the fright! So scary. I'm glad it worked out! You make me want to make Carter wear his monkey.
Post a Comment