Sunday, May 9, 2010

Motherhood

Today is Mother's Day. It was a lovely day. I was completely spoiled. Stewart sort of gave me a week long mother's day with cooking dinners, cleaning the house, sending me out on runs, sending me out to get my hair cut, buying me the huge gift of camping gear so we can finally go real camping as a family (Eeeeee! so happy!), and by being so loving to me. I am completely spoiled. Stewart, thank you for everything.

This evening after dinner was eaten, gifts were given, and kind words were said we cuddled up on the couch and watched Bridger's birth and first weeks of life on home video. It was nostalgic. It made me miss Utah, it made me miss our little duplex, it made me miss the thrill of having our first and only, and I remembered how extremely tough we have always been. Having Bridger while we were both in full time school at the beginning of a semester! Wow, and we kept going and even got pregnant four months after his birth to have another! We were crazy, tough, and really young.

Looking back makes me realize how fleeting these years with my babies are and really focuses my priorities. I don't want these years to be a blur of running here and there and scrambling to fit in as much as possible into one day. Today I prayed a sincere prayer that I could slow down a little. That I can learn to savor the magical moments I can have with my little ones if I take the time to notice their golden opportunities.

I love Elder Nelson's words, "Sisters, be patient. I know something of the pressures you feel. Your kitchens are too small. Your budgets are too tight. Demands upon you exceed your capacity to help all who cry out to you. Through it all, 'Improve the shinning moments; Don’t let them pass you by.'

I’ll share a few lines that have sustained Sister Nelson through the years. They also reflect her sense of priority:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait ’til tomorrow.
For babies grow up,

We’ve learned to our sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs.

Dust, go to sleep.

I’m rocking my baby,

And babies don’t keep.

I’m glad Sister Nelson has not tried to be a “supermom.” But she has been a “soothing” mom. This she has done simply by being herself. When priorities are in place, one can more patiently tolerate unfinished business.

'Time flies on wings of lightning; We cannot call it back'."

I know as I am being myself I will be a dreamer thinking of grand adventures and plans of creating. That is a part of my being, but I hope that I will not do them to be super. I hope I will do them to be a better mother, I don't want to do a thing unless it will benefit my family and I never want to do a thing at their expense. When this life is over I will not care about so many things I so dearly care for now but I will eternally care for how I mothered my children. For I know the ripples of mothers' nurturing touch go on for all generations of time. I want my ripples to be the very best kind.
My Babies and Me.

0 comments: