I have deduced a theory pertaining to my wellbeing as a stay at home mom that I think might apply to other moms too. --- like my trying to sound smart--- and it goes something like this... While in school and in the work force people get lots of reinforcement when they are doing a good job. It is formal, it is something we can put on our resumes, and say look I am worth a lot to important people. Students get grades on papers, test, and the class as a whole. When they ask good questions or say smart comments they are complimented and the teacher takes note. When they do their reading and get full points on their quiz it reinforces that their efforts are noticed and that they will be rewarded with a high grade in the class. Working mom's get paid, they get (hopefully) compliments from their co-workers and bosses and as they excel their expectations they eventually win awards and get promotions. But us mom's who are at home all the time get... Well, not as formal and dependable reinforcements showing that our efforts are appreciated and noticed. I will never get an award for being mom of the month, or teacher of the year, I will never get a promotion or an "A" for busting my but all day long. Most the time that is fine but somedays its not, and I find myself wanting someone to say to me "you rock!", "that scrapbooking page is so cute" , "you are a great mom", "you cook the best food", or "wow you have been keeping up with the laundry so much better these days, way to go". On days like this I remind Stewart that I am in need of an "A" or something to show that I am appreciated and he is very obliging but when you ask for a compliment is just doesn't seem to do much for you. Any mom whether she works or not dose a lot of work that is somehow expected and not often given substantial credit for. So I think that what we as moms, working, stay at home, or in school alike do is turn to each other to get our high fives, promotions, and "A"'s . We blog , call, and email about our latest crafts, about our triathlon, and our baby's cuteness so that someone out there will comment and say you are amazing, good job and we can feel like all our efforts aren't in vain and stay motivated. So in that spirit here are some little "A"s for all you awesome mom's that I know look at my blog: :0)
Kirsten, you have a beautiful smile, your kids are sooo smart and good natured, you have a great marriage, and you are endlessly thoughtful of others. Not to mention your craftiness is out of this world.
Megan, you are so smart, funny, and kind. And really brighten my day with your awesome blogging. You make me smile everyday with it. And if I had to do Kindergarten again I would defiantly want you as my teacher.
Sherri, you look like you have never had a baby but you have the wisdom of someone who has had five.
Suzie, you are so kind to everyone. I have never heard you say an unkind thing! You seem to effortlessly make everything beautiful and make people feel loved.
Becca, you always make me feel so good about everything. Whenever we talk I am all smiles. I miss you! and your adorable kids too :0) you make being a mom look so easy.
Treva, I think you are brilliant, and beautiful. I would die for your skin! And your kids are brilliant like you too! I wish I could be half as motivated for excellence as you are.
Anj, you are the most calming reassuring person I know. You always make me feel better about everything and so cared about. You make the world better by just being you! I always thought that if I wasn't able to have mom as my mom I'd want you to be my mom.
Mom Smith, What can I say, I love you! You make everything beautiful, funny, and safe for me. You have always been able to calm my worst storms and even help me laugh through them.
Bethany, you are so caring and fun. I know if I need someone to talk to you will drop everything and be there for me. You understand people so well and go above and beyond to make them know how loved they are. And something about your kids I just adore. I think the world of them. And Lee always makes me laugh too, your home is one of my dearest homes away from home.
Mom Ras, you have shown me so much love and kindness. I never seem to see the end of all your thoughtfulness. I look to you as my friend and example and treasure my relationship with you. I feel so grateful to be so embraced by you and the family even though I have so many annoying quirks. Thank you.
Eden, you have been such a good friend to me. I always have fun with you and you get me to laugh. You are so thoughtful! You always amaze me with all the lengths you will go to help those around you. I miss you! plus you dress way cute. :0)
Mary Anne, you have been such a good aunt to me. I cant tell you how much your interest in my life means to me. You are soooo thoughtful, sharing, and loving. Eden and I always talk about how much we appreciate your generosity and warmth. And your kids are beautiful!
Amy, I am so glad you have befriended me and involved me in your life. You are so kind and willing to help me and watch my kids. I always learn from you how I can be a better mom. And the fact that Patrick can sing the BYU fight song makes it apparent that you are a very wise fun mom. :0)
Mallory, you have been so nice to befriend me too! You are so talented at everything! I love my hair cut and you always dress so cute. You are always so willing to help me out! Thank you! Oh, I have Carson's bottle I need to get back to you. :0)
Deana, you are so faithful to your convictions. You follow your dreams with complete faith and courage. I admire your courage and conviction.
Christie, you always make me feel like a little kid again! You are like a sister to me. I always get the giggles with you and just feel better for knowing you. And you are so beautiful, something I have been jealous of most of my life! You and Joanna always got the guys! :0)
Joanna, you don't have kids yet but I think you deserve one anyways. :0) You have been my only friend who got me and loved being totally retarded along side me from my awkward elementary days to my married frumpy days. You are a great friend. You are a natural artist, have impeccable taste, and are always so thoughtful.
And to everyone else out there that I might be forgetting or don't know that you read my blog, I think you are great! We all deserve tons of promotions, "A"'s, awards and hugs! Way to go all of us! We Rock! :0)
2020 goals
6 years ago
7 comments:
I heard a story once about a mom who would actually paste a gold star on her forehead and that was her husband's cue that she was in need of some TLC for all her hard work---I've thought about trying that one out at my house numerous times! :)
You are also doing a great job--I don't think very many of us could do as well with your "twin" babies. You always look great, your house is always much cleaner than mine, AND you're pulling of what is virtually a full time business.
BTW, my mom has decided that she would have been a much saner SAHM if she had had a blogging community, cheap or free long distance, and many of the other ways that we do find to stay in touch and build each other up. I have to remind myself to count those blessings when I STILL feel isolated.
Thanks, you are so sweet and caring. You are the best person I know who can express your feelings so well. I love you very much and am so grateful to have you as my sister and friend!
Emily,
Way to be a go getter and full of love. It is amazing how you have turned a need into a gift to others. That is truly admirable.
Nathan
I am totally with ya on your mommy theory. Sometimes I have to remember to tell myself that what I'm doing is important even if its occasionally overlooked. Thanks for the great compliments. I agree with Amy, you are doing a great job. I am amazed at your ability to balance all you have on your plate.
A plus plus plus for you my dear Emily! You are so right about needing reinforcement. I think part of the reason I became a teacher... in schools there is lots of positive reinforcement going on. At home its rough. Maggie never tells me thank you, just just screams at me while I'm trying to clean up the poop trickling down her leg and husbands... you know they appreciate you but they can never say it enough. Thanks for this post and for the kind words you said about me. I think you have such good perspective and you are so real. You can cut through the froofy, cheesey, dumb stuff and know what's important in life. I love that. I really admire you for being grounded, honest, and dang FUN. We miss you guys!
Emily, What a sweet post...you have such a way of ensuring those around you are taken care of and boosted up. If I lived in Reno, I would plaster gold stars all over your house and your forehead! You do an incredible job of doing so much with a husband in med. school. If anyone knows what that is like, I do. You are understanding with Stew's long study days, you are patient with "Mormon Twins", you are talented, motivated, persistent (with your business) and you don't give up up things. You are to be admired. Thanks for the sweet comments for everyone.
Em! You always have a way to put into words how I'm feeling! It's funny because in so many ways I've always been jealous of your "effortless" ability at being a mom. You me think I could handle two kids because you made it look easy! That and you're such a great housekeeper I always wanted to go home and organize my house a bit after being in yours. So thank you for your example, and your friendship. You definately rock!
Post a Comment