Saturday, November 17, 2007

Remembering This Time Four Years Ago!

Well, four years ago this week Stewart got down on one knee and asked me if I'd be his little misses. My bling bling was a pink ring pop but it was non-the-less very sweet. :0) A couple of days later he did it all over again with the real bling'n ring and it was fun to be proposed to twice. Here's our little engagement stories. :0)

The first proposal was as we walked back to the car from our snow picnic up by bridal veil falls. As we walked Stewart kept trying to find reasons to stop and get into his backpack. I was so cold I just wanted to get back to the car. He kept saying things like, " Hey, lets throw rocks in the puddle" and I was totally bemused at his need to stop in the frigid cold and do stupid things. Finally, I said something about needing to tell my mom that we were thinking of getting married in February and he said, "Well, we better make it official then." I stood their in shock as he got down on one knee shaking more from nerves then cold and asked with a big old grin on his face "will you marry me". I said yes and started to laugh as he grabbed the wrong hand and placed a big pink ring pop on my cold blue finger. He later told me that the day was all planned but the ring wasn't ready in time so he bought a ring pop last minute. Such a cute guy thing! :0)

PS I still have the ring pop! Its a little deformed but its in a ring box in my drawer. Bridger did try to eat it once but luckily I caught him and saved it from the mortal peril of baby slobber.

A few days later we were going to be flying to my family's for thanksgiving and I wanted a real ring so it would be more official but thought I could suck it up and be fine without it. The last night before we were leaving I had to drop my last midterm research paper off late at night at me professor's office. Stew took me up to campus and seemed rather giddy about it. I just took it as his total crazy in 'loveness' with me and thus was overly excited to be able to spend time with me no matter how mundane. After I dropped my paper off he asked if I'd like to walk around a bit, so we did. We stopped on the outside patio area of the fine arts building at BYU and he gave me a big hug. When he did I could feel his heart pounding really hard. I thought that was a bit weird and I wondered if he thought we were having a really special moment or something. He then stepped back and got down on his knee and asked if I would 'honor him by taking his hand and be his wife'. I told him I would love to and gave him a big kiss. I was so nervous I wouldn't like the ring I didn't even have the courage to look at it and even gave him the wrong hand! You'd think the second time both of us would get it right. :0) For some reason ( I guess the power of the bling) it hit home really strong the second time and instead of laughing we were tearing up. However, we eventually got the giggles and felt like we should call everyone and re-announce our engagement! When we were getting in the car I finally got the courage to look at my ring. And I was so relieved; it was perfect. Three months later we sealed the deal in the Los Angeles temple and really have lived happily ever after!

I am so happy Stew looked beyond the fact that I was two weeks out of high school, was overly emotional, had wounds and many dreams and saw my potential to be a good wife and mother. He took my hand despite all my faults and decided he'd like to try and make a very happy life with me. And I think he has done a really good job. I couldn't imagine a better man then the one I've got!

Here is a little movie I made for the Smith family reunion this summer that I have recently updated a bit. It showcases all the little mile stones we've made together! Enjoy...




3 comments:

Megan said...

So CUTE! I remember that you got married a week after I came home from my mission. I thought it was crazy that Stew was marrying a Freshman! But boy am I glad he did. Emily, you are the coolest. You are such a good match and I'm feeling so lucky to have you as a cousin. Awesome movie. I wish I could make movies.

Kirsten said...

Cute story!! I don't know if I knew it like that, detail for detail. It was fun reliving it again. I love slideshows and seeing the growth and change. They make me all sentimental and stuff!! You do such a great job! Happy Thanksgiving!

Andelin said...

Great job Em! Loved the slideshow!