Monday, October 8, 2007

My business - a hard yet very happy time


Stew took this picture of me today as we headed out of the house. He was headed to school and I was headed to place my sample impressions up in doctors offices. I had dreams of posting my picture with a blog that told a story of how my 17 samples were cutely sprinkled in waiting rooms across Reno. But now at the end of the day I have a very different blog entry to write. It went OK but was a little disappointing and left me with a lot on my heart and mind. And now I have 13 samples dumped, not so cutely, in my garage wishing they had a more clinical home. :0) So here is what I am left to write about: This year has brought us so much growth as a family. We have embarked on very unknown paths, many of which we are still wondering where they will take us. I have felt very prompted to start my home business. We felt strongly that it was what the Lord wanted us to do. It sort of fell into our laps and we weren't really wanting to take it on knowing how hard medical school is by its self but in time we were excited about it and knew it was right. So I have invested my whole heart into this business. Much of our money, time, tears, smiles and energies have been poured into it. I somehow thought that I would be able to get it off the ground quickly and surprise all my family and friends with how well I am doing with it so that any doubters would become believers. But all along the way Stew has given me blessings that have counseled me that it would be longer and harder then I thought it would be. And He was right. I have slow and small achievements and many set backs. But every time I feel discouraged and afraid of how we will survive with no income and a mortgage I feel this very clam reassuring Spirit wash over my mind and heart that seems to tell me that it will still be hard but that in time I will look back and be so grateful we had the faith to take this difficult path. It seems during this year we have had so many opportunities to grow. I have never had so many fears but also so many opportunity to feel the Spirit reassure and comfort me. Everyday I seem to find a dozen miracles in my little families behalf in the face of all the set backs we seem to encounter. Here is a prime example....

Just the other day as I sat worrying about how to make ends meet I got a call from the guy whose car I accidentally hit in a parking garage when I was pregnant with Angeli. I had left a note for him with my number. We talked shortly after but he never called me back to set up arrangements on how to pay for his car repairs. And I counted myself very lucky. But now almost 18 months later he called just when we are by far the poorest we have ever been. I was therefore feeling worse. So as I worried I felt I should check the mail. It appeared to be bills and junk but to my utter amazement there hidden in the junk was a reimbursement check from way before I was pregnant with Bridger that some how was mailed to us in Reno. How on earth this happened I don't know, but I do know it was through the hand of our Heavenly Father. As I looked down at that simple check for 17.98 I felt the Spirit testify that the Lord is mindful of us and is capable of making great and small things happen in our behalf. This guy's car repairs will be more then 17.98 but I was reassured not to worry because if this check can find me some how we will survive. At the end of this episode, like many others before it, I felt ever needful of the Lord's help and ever mindful of what a kind Father we have. He has numberless children and numberless worlds yet He took the time and effort to get that little check to me on a day when I would need a reminder of His love and a little extra money. So while we are constantly bombarded with set backs we are receiving so many blessings. I have always known we were watched over but it seems these days we are relying on His miracles every step of the way. We are so very grateful to all of you that have made many of those mighty and mini miracles happen for us. From Eden's surprise package for my babies so they would have winter clothes and Halloween customs to my 17.98 dollar check we know that the Lord and you are all watching out for us. Thanks for being our miracles we love you all so much. All our love, The Ras's

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Emily,
Don't worry about your business...it will come. You are doing great and I admire you for all the hard work and effort you are putting into this to help support your family. Way more than I could ever do. Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!
Love, Kirsten

Megan said...

I am amazed at your mature perspective. I would be crying saying "LIFE NEVER GOES HOW I WANT IT TO" but here you are bearing your testimony and strengthening mine. Keep up your good work and stick with the business, it'll definitely pay off. I love you and thank you so much for writing this blog. It makes me want to be a better person when I read it.

Suzie said...

Emily,
I miss you on our walks! Hang in there! You are doing so much! I am amazed with your positive attitude. You are right, everything will work out. Keep praying, Keep believing. You are loved!

gunnfam said...

Emily,
I'm so glad that you are having a rough time too! =) I was beginning to think you were super mom. I need to know your secret, at how you made having two kids (especially two so close together) look so easy! I'm overwhelmed and I have help! (josh's mom is here, and so is my sister) I'm just glad that you still get up, and plug along like the rest of us. (and look good doing it, might I add!) Good luck with the business, if you want to come to Cali, I'd be happy to buy some and have you do Grace and Eliza's!

Carpenters said...

Hi Emily, I just found your blog throught Mallory's I have met you before at enrichment, you are such a cutie. I can empathize what you are going through and the Lord is alway's mindful of you. Your hope's and desire may not take of as quickly as you hope, but they will. I have lots of family that are having babies and 3 sisters that either work at a hospital or denist office. Let me know what you do and maybe I can pass the word around. Nicole Carpenter