Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Making Friends as a Mom

Well, my new friend here in Reno shared with me a new philosophy I have decided is very very true. Here it goes. Once you become a mom you need to make yourself mommy friends. Also, moving means you have to start all over again which is exactly what I am having to do now that I am in Reno. She said you have to go after other moms the same way you would go after a guy when you were single. Instead of going to bars (church dances) to pick up guys you go to parks to pick up moms. You have to get up the nerve to ask for their number. You tell them their kids are cute, you tell that they look nice, you invite them on play dates. You then invite them to dinner to meet the whole family and slowly you make advances into mommy friendship. I realized when my new friend said this that I have always been surprised at how hard it is to make new friends. I think I felt this way because we have the expectation that it is something that just naturally happens when you find compatible mommies around you. However, everyone acknowledges that getting yourself a man can be very hard so we aren't as put off when it takes a lot of work. Thus, I have committed to work just as hard to make my mommy friends as I did to get Stew!:0) After all it is fundamentally the same thing; trying to make someone like you enough to make room for you in their lives. In fact I have been doing this in small amounts with the very same girl that introduced this idea to me. I decided I wanted her to be friends with me. But I could tell she wasn't overly excited about that idea. But I put myself out there anyways. And now we are friends! So ladies. Work for those mommy friends just as hard as you did to get your Man. And I think you'll soon find yourselves with a little back book full of fellow mommies ready at your call to go to the park, the zoo, or just to chat on the phone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello rasmussen gang! this is the hayes' writing to let you know that we got the notice about your blog. it'a a great start! your children are so big! they're so beautiful! wow!

thanks for getting the word out on the "mommy friend" philosophy. it is harder than i would have thought to make new friends. and especially, if you allow yourself the thought that it's you that has to initiate, but then i remember that some people are shy, some people are down on themselves, and then some just get easily bogged down with dishes, diapers and everything else home management.

this is a great blog and i look forward to seeing updates!

love,
deana, chris, and lucy

Megan said...

You're right Emily, it requires more than we think. I guess thats why I sit by myself in Relief Society and wonder why all the moms are friends but me: I'm not putting forth ANY EFFORT. Hello! If I had to throw my phone number at Dan and initiate the first couple of times we hung out...maybe I should do that in order to make friends. Sad thing is, its easy to just sit by yourself and let the madness continue. But I've got to stop the cycle. You rock.