Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Golden

"I prefer the retro chic of spending Christmas just like Joseph and Mary did --traveling arduously back to the place of your birth to be counted, with no guarantee of a bed when you get there." --Tina Fey

That is golden. I think I may read her book. I always get pangs of homesickness this time of year. I long to be with my in-laws where the Christmas magic is still going strong and for my family I get homesick for Christmas' that were years and years ago. This year I have been thinking of my childhood. I remember one Christmas when all my older siblings were home from school. It was Christmas Eve and I ran to the kitchen to get a serving spoon as everyone was piling food on their plates and I paused as I came back into the room and just took it all in. The happiness I felt was so palpable. I started to cry. I said a prayer of gratitude. I knew then that was my version of heaven - my family all together. that was what I lived for....it was a rarity in my world. I only have a handful of moments that rival that one for me. I knew then that is what I'd live for, for the hope that we could all be together through the eternities. I think I was around 6 or maybe 8. If I could back in time to a day of my childhood it'd be that one. I hope my kids experience such joy in their Christmas memories.

0 comments: