If Benjie could talk that is what he'd be screaming at me everyday as I load and unload him from the car. He honest to goodness thinks he can drive. You see, I made a big mistake about two weeks ago. I had parked all crooked in the driveway and Stew was on his way home and I needed to straighten the car before he got home so he could fit his car in the driveway too. As I headed out the door Benjie was sad so I grabbed him up and thought it would be fun for him if he got to sit on my lap and "drive" with me. I remember my dad letting me help drive when I was a kid and I loved it. As you can guess, he LOVED it too. He actually was turning the wheel and getting all into it. I gave myself a couple of points for being a fun mom and that was that.
BUT the next day as we all piled in the car to head to the store he threw the biggest fit of his life. I didn't know what it was about so I thought I would let him do what he wanted to do while I helped get the other kids situated. So what did he want so badly? To drive. He made his way to my seat got the "key" (we use the term loosely when it comes to our van) and sat there ready to drive the car all by himself. When I pulled him from my chair the tantrum of the century started up again. He was throwing his body all over the place and of course hit his head on the door, kicked his shoes off in protest, hit me twice, and kicked me several times. He was MAD!!!! My sweet little Benja Boo sort of hated me. I had to use all my body weight to keep his bottom in his seat and get him buckled. He was so mad he grabbed Angeli's toy from her hands and threw it on the ground which got her crying and then Bridger (being very noise sensitive) started to cry, "Mom, they're screaming too loud!". Which led to the chorus of three crying, screaming Rasmussen kids. It was a golden moment. :O)
So that is our ritual every time we go anywhere now. He has gotten so sly at it. He wiggles out of my arms pushes the big kids out of his way as he climbs in the car and I am then blocked by big kids so I cant grab him and he starts to "drive".
He loves cars. They have always been his favorite. I had a talk with him yesterday and Angeli helped out. We tried to explain that he has 15 years before he will get to drive. He just yelled at us.
Needless to say we've been home a lot more these days. Oh, toddler hood what have you done to my cuddly little sweet baby?!?!??!
2020 goals
6 years ago
5 comments:
hahahaa. I'm sorry. That's funny but so frustrating! I love watching little ones, like Meg, throw tantrums. it's so cute. Carter was convinced he could drive this past summer. Why do our babies have to grow up??
Cambree thinks she can drive too. most times we get in the car she hops in the driver seat and says, "I'm driving today okay mom!" And when i tell her no she gets pretty upset and just keeps screaming, "No I WANT to drive" She even randomly asks me for the keys through out the day so she can go "shopping" We might have our hands full!
Just wait until they are really old enough to drive. There may not be bruises from the kicking and hitting, but you may go into heart failure, have panic attacks or go crazy. Good luck! You're a fabulous Mom!!!
Toddlerhood is so crazy! I love your idea of going on a date. What great pics of it!
That's too funny-like something Karli would do. She loves to open the car with the key, crawl in and turn on the ignition. The younger ones seriously want to grow up so fast once they get to see all the fun stuff their siblings get to do. Karli was a sweet, sweet baby and boy oh boy does she have a mind of her own as a toddler!!! I keep telling myself we are encouraging their independence as the younger ones to things faster and younger then the older ones. Maybe he needs one of those little Tike Cars you sit in or a ride on the Chuck E. Cheese Monster Trucks you can ride for a quarter!!!!
Post a Comment