Saturday, March 20, 2010

A gradule miracle

Yesterday we had Bridger's IEP for Bridger's speech. I asked his therapist if she could give me an idea of where he would be when he started kindergarten. She told me that all his cognitive, and behavioral deficits were completely gone. She told me that besides his speech he will go into kindergarten where he should be and do really well.

He'll only need speech!?!? If I think back two years ago when Bridger could hardly communicate - couldn't even say mom and dad to now, it is remarkable. To think back to when he was sooo busy and literally jumping off the walls, when they were testing him for all sorts of problems, having to fight so hard for any treatment at all after they tell me how badly he needs it, hearing them tell me how difficult he was and how he was so lucky to have me as a mother because most mothers couldn't handle him, the paper work they gave me telling me how I would have to tell all his teachers how difficult he is to teach. I thought we had years of trials ahead of us. We thought we'd have to coach a super hyper active, boundary breaking, cognitively behind son through years of difficult schooling. I thought that was how it was going to go and apparently so did every educator and specialist who saw him.

BUT yesterday as I sat in his IEP meeting and his therapist told me how much he has grown, I was so pleased. She told me he was a "joy to work with". I was so glad someone else felt the way I did about my boy. As we walked out of the school I bumped into his preschool teacher and she asked how his IEP went and then she volunteered, "Bridger is my model student. He is my angel child."
It has been so gradual that I haven't noticed the miracle much but as I called Stewart to tell him the news I remembered all the struggle. All the times we had to expect the worst and hope for the best and now to have the best coming to life it is wonderful. I know he is just starting school heck, he's only there for 6 hours a week but, even a year ago that would have seemed impossible. School will always have its ups and downs but to be where we are is such a happiness. My boy is my favorite Bridger in the world, he always has been. I am so grateful that school can be a happy experience after all. What a wonderful blessing for him.

1 comments:

the Hurleys said...

I told you so. :) Anj