As I left church still in the whirlwind of my calling overload and my arms full of folders and diaper bags, and manuals Stew spotted his home teaching family across the parking lot and quickly dashed after them to set up an appointment. I kept walking to the van arms full, in high heels, five-ish months prego, and keeping an attentive eye on my toddlers. My friend waved to me and rolled down her window and we talked trying to finalize our presidency meeting time. I then realized that my toddlers that were once right next to me were nowhere to be seen. There I am standing right next to the parking lot and a very busy street and I have no idea where my kids are. I start looking frantically and then I see them. Bridger is standing on the curb trying to hold Angeli back from running in the street. In an instant I drop all my stuff that was in my arms...and it was a ton of stuff... and start running. Though my efforts were gallant my heel catches on the straps of my diaper bag and I totally eat it. But with my daughter's life at stake I jump up with a slightly twisted ankle, two hurt knees, and a big belly and run to my babies. By the time I get there Bridger is screaming on the sidewalk pointing at Angeli saying, "Baby, Baby! NO! NO!". He really was scared for her and he should have been. There is Angeli going as fast as her legs will take her right in the middle of a busy four lane street. I knew I should have checked for cars before I entered the street but I couldn't bring myself to take my eyes off Angeli as if that was some sort of protection for her to have me staring at her. I reached her in what seemed like forever and sweep her up into my arms hugging her as close as I could to my chest. As I took in the situation and realized that we were all okay I came together enough to wave a thanks to the cars lined up stopped watching my daughter toddle across. They seemed to all wave back in relief.
As I made my way across the church building lawn I saw onlookers gathering my things up for me and calling Stew over. I was trying not to cry so I wouldn't make more of a scene but I could sense I was losing that battle. However as I got to Stew I realized they all seemed really calm and cheerful. This sweet newly-wed couple had a big grin on their faces. They asked if I was ok and said that it was pretty exciting to watch. As I tried to make sense of their response I then look down and Bridger has stuffed a handful of Tums in his mouth from out of my toppled diaper bag. The sweet sister goes on complimenting me and is very impressed with my dash to my baby. I tell her she shouldn't be impressed with me at all. For goodness sake, "One minute my daughter is walking into traffic and the next my son is scarfing down medicine from my purse"!!! They thought it was so great though and were all smiles and laughing. I eventually could not help from laughing too. What a mess we were, it was either going to make me cry or laugh and they helped me chose the less depressing option.
After Stew made Bridger spit out the Tums I gave Bridger a big hug and thanked him for trying to keep Angeli out of the Street and for not going into the street too. I then explained to Angeli that if she goes "in the street a car will squash you and being squashed by a car is very owie." This sent this little couple over the edge, : () ) they were so impressed with me and Stew. They told us they had just watched this movie on parenting and it showed how to be a good parent and they thought we were perfect. It was a silly thing that they thought we were doing so well but it seemed to dissipate so much of my anxiety to hear them tell me that. I hate moments when it is clear that I am not in control of my children...I always feel so very very overwhelmed, inept, and usually embarrassed that I am pregnant with another one. I mean, if I cant handle the kids I've got then why are we having MORE!?!?!?!? But bless this couple's hearts. They saved me from having a total break down because they saw in the midst of the chaos of my toddlers trying to get themselves killed that we were doing some things right. Their parting phrase was, "I think you guys are great." I am glad that there are people in the world that can see me in a traumatic parenting moment and come away with that as their lasting impression. I think the Lord placed them there just for me. What tender mercies! Not only did the Lord protect my little Angeli from being hit by a car but He even sent someone to cheer my heart!
2020 goals
6 years ago
4 comments:
Soooo glad your little girl is okay. That's so scary! It could totally have happened to any mom...toddlers are so fast, and all it takes is a brief moment of us not looking and they're gone. How nice to have such encouraging people there to cheer you on! Every parent needs some positive words to help them on their way. Sounds like you handled everything great!
I'm so glad that she's okay and that they were there to be kind and encouraging. You are a great Mom! You will do such a good job with your three little ones!...which by the way aren't you supposed to find out what your having today? Keep me posted!
Wow Em! That's super scarey! I'm so glad Bridger was trying to be a good big brother and that neither you nor Angeli were injured! SO nice to have that couple give you a boost when you needed it. You really are incredible and I know you hear everyone say this, but I really don't know how you do it.
Great story, Emily. You're so positive and it really helps to read your blog from time to time. I like hearing of your struggles because I identify with so many of them. Thanks.
Also, don't be embarrassed. You guys are so great for each other and for your kids. It was so fun to see you in Vegas.
Post a Comment