Friday, May 2, 2008

A Hard Day and How it was Saved


The other day was a hard day. I was so sick but I had some urgent errands that had to be run and my poor kids had been stuck in the house with me for so many days that I knew they needed to get out of the house too. I guess it was the fact that we'd been in our own little world for so long and that I was so sick that made it so I had a hard time dealing with people's reactions to me and my kids. I will be the first to admit that Bridger can be very hyperactive; offices and libraries were not constructed with two year old boys in mind!!! At least not hyperactive ones! I felt like we were the circus coming through town.

It seems that people don't keep much to themselves. They would talk about us as if we weren't able to hear them, "Hey look at that little boy. He's sure got a mind of his own." and "Look he's on a leash. How sad!" The worst is that people will stare at me and see that I need help and will not go out of their way to help me but rather to let me know, "Well, you've got your hands full don't you." and "Wow, they are close in age! You're sure brave." I heard that so many times I wanted to scream. Why do they say that? Do they actually mean well? What it really translates to is, "I am so glad I am not you. You have more then you can handle. You are dumb and crazy to have kids so close." I think its just rude! Usually I am able to answer their comments by saying something about how much I love my kids and then do something that shows just how much I do enjoy my kids no matter how crazy they are, but I was sick and really not enjoying them very much so no such answer came. I just gave a weak smile and then ran after Bridger and Angeli getting into their latest escapade.

This one is so rude it really blows my mind. It happens all the time. They say this to me even when Stewart isn't there, just like this hard day. "Your kids are beautiful. Their Dad must be very handsome." and "Wow, they have such beautiful blue eyes. Their Dad must have beautiful blue eyes." Now, it's not so much that they are saying I am ugly and my eyes are not pretty enough to have given my kids their blue eyes that bugs me, its that they think they are very kind. They think they are just complimenting my children and not implying that I am a terrible genetic provider. They are delighted with themselves and wait for me to be flattered by their nice compliment. I'll I say is "Yes, their Father is very handsome and has very beautiful blue eyes." People, I think you mean well but come on!

However, there were a few people that did exactly what I needed after all the scoffers and rude comments. They saved the day. They loved my kids and helped me! Novel, I know, but they did it just right and it saved me from having a melt down. One such encounter happened at the library. We were leaving the library and our overflowing HEAVY bag of books kept setting off the alarm and Bridger was running around crazy. I was exasperated and people were looking at me annoyed that I was holding up the exit. Then the only nice person in the entire library came to my rescue. He took the huge bag for me, rescanned the books and then helped me get out the door. Then he said with a big happy grin "Have a good day." It was all I needed. I loved that kind man!

Then later that evening I realized we had no food, that I was too sick to cook dinner, and that Stew was staying late at school studying for finals. I decided we needed fast food. I was in tears because I was so sick and not sure I could make it to our local McDonald's without throwing up. However, they needed food so I had to suck it up and go. I wanted the kids to be able to play and eat there so they could have a little bit of fun out of the house so I decided we were going in. Once we got there some magical things happened. No one was there but us. One of the workers got the door for me and he smiled at my kids. Bridger fell in love with him. He let Bridger help him wipe down tables and sweep. The workers told me how beautiful my kids were without saying anything about my husband and even told me my son's eyes were like mine. They smiled and talked to Bridger and Angeli. Then this kind man came in and gave Bridger some money to put in their money thingy. It spins the coins around and around delighting my son like no other.

I left feeling rejuvenated. Bless those people that saw the beauty in my kids and treated me with dignity and kindness. They will never know how much I needed that. They saved the day.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Emily, when I was reading your blog, and read the part about that nice worker at McDonalds that let Bridger wipe the tables and sweep the floor, it almost made me cry...You are beautiful, with beautiful blue eyes ;) and your kids are darling!! I don't understand some people...there have been times even though my kids are amazing(I'm alittle partial!:))that I was almost in tears...I don't know if you remember, but one time when Sophie was not obeying, I stuck her in the cart and she started screaming...someone came up to me and asked me if I was beating my child!!! I almost beat him!!! I was so mad...then two different kind women asked me if I needed any help...one was a grandma and had a special touch and got Sophie happy in a way only grandma's can do...I think she was an angel!!!! Sorry about my novel...but I think your doing a great job!! You guys are in our prayers!! I love all of you!!

Anne Marie said...

Going on errands with two toddlers is extremely stressful, especially if you are feeling sick! I am so sorry that there are so many tactless people out there. You have such a pretty face. I cannot imagine that people are implying anything by their comments, and if they are, they clearly need corrective eyewear. Thank heavens for people who are considerate and thoughtful.

Debbie Brough said...

I'm still learning about all of those things that you just shouldn't say. I remember being pregnant and getting so many comments of either "You're so tiny! Or, wow - you must be ready to have that baby!" :)

In reading your blog with all your kids crazy antics, I know I've been guilty of a "you've got your hands full" comment... I hope you know that I think you are just a great Mom Emily! Even when things are stressful or chaotic, you always seem to be able to find the light and happy side of things.

And, hooray for the great McDonalds worker! It's amazing what something so small can do to turn a crazy day around. :)

Megan said...

Oh Emily Dear, bless your heart! Some days are so hard. I'm so happy that your McDonald's experience was so great after such a rough day. People say the dumbest things sometimes. I swear. Just today somebody told me that I had doubled in size over the weekend. I mean, seriously? Do you need to say things like that. And I think that both Angeli and Bridger look so much like both you and Stew that I still marvel at what perfect little combinations of their hot parents they are. And seriously I look up to you so much. Love you!

Becca said...

oh my gosh. this reminds me so much of my emotional i-can't-deal-with-this-anymore days in philly when we just moved here. I'd be AMAZED when someone would hold the door open for me or say anything besides "Watch where you're going!" and I don't even have kids!!

and for the record, you and Stew BOTH have beautiful blue eyes. I still have your engagement picture in my mind, with both of you guys's blue eyes looking up at the camera. you are such a gorgeous couple with such such such darling kids :)