Thursday, May 22, 2008

Becoming a Doctor and a Doctor's Wife or My Parents?

Becoming a doctor just became a lot more fun for Stewart. He is loving being able to watch and help out the doctor he is shadowing in all her surgeries and seeing all the pre-opt and post- opt patients in the office. He calls me everyday on his way home from his last surgery of the day and is so excited about everything he was able to do: stapling up tummies, suturing up intestines, and being a "surgical assistant" on a large variety of cases. It is so rewarding for him. His favorite part is working with the babies and children. I cant help but feel his excitement too when he talks about doing surgeries on one day old babies and about a little toddler girl who was wheeled in carrying her Elmo doll that they bandaged up just like her. He really loves it. Stew likes school and is a great student but the real thing is a million times more fun and rewarding! Right now Stewart is practicing suturing a banana together. :O) Pictured left is my dad with his mom when he graduated from med school

In some ways I feel like we are playing pretend. He basically is living the life of a doctor minus the real pressure and the real pay and therefore I am playing along as the doctor's little wife. What has struck me is how it takes me back to my childhood. Stewart smells like my dad, sterile, too clean, just like a hospital. He is now getting medical journals in the mail and when the kids go down I find Stew sitting down reading about "Botulinum Toxins". Everything keeps taking me back to little moments of my childhood. Like sorting the mail as a kid and seeing all sort of magazines with deformed feet and weird rashes pictured on the cover and how my dad would read it all for hours. You see, last night I came to bed later then Stew. He was tired and I wanted to finish what I was doing. When I finally got there he was sitting in bed reading his scriptures and medical journal. I brushed my teeth and plopped down next to him. As I cuddled up to him I took in a deep breath and smelled... the HOSPITAL. I sort of freaked out - it was too much like my childhood. That was how it was with my dad. He'd be reading in bed at night and I'd jump up on his bed and cuddle next to him and count all the moles on his arm while I could smell his smell... hosipitalness. I realized in one moment that I might be signing up for more of my previous life then I thought I would be. I am not sure if anyone will appreciate that besides my own siblings and parents but I found it startling. My husband will smell like my dad forever, he will work doctor's hours just like my dad, I will want to stay up and quilt (craft whatever) while I watch old movies and he will read his scriptures and medical journals just like my mom and dad would. Stewart seemed to read my mind and said, "Looks like we are turning into your mom and dad already." That threw me over the edge. I informed Stewart that maybe he should not be a doctor, maybe he could join CES like his dad or just be a research scientist, anything else but a doctor.

I don't know what I envisioned for our future but somehow this wasn't it. It was not that I really didn't want to be like my parents as it was too clearly laid out, too familiar to be exciting, not my own, basically it was not my future at all... it was my past! I have seen the panoramic picture of my parents lives and it was/is a hard life. Happy and full of wonderful things, but hard. I wanted to just think about surviving the med school years and my ideas of the future are vague dreams filled with finally having money and going to kid's soccer games. I hadn't really thought about the reality of it all and it was weird. Pictured left is my dad dressed in his surgical wear. They pauses to take pictures with their first little new born before my dad headed off to work.

Stewart could only laugh at me. He informed me that we had a long way to go before he was a doctor and that we had lots of years of studenthood ahead to soften the "blow" of being a doctor. Trying to calm myself I told him I could live with him smelling like my dad and a hospital but the reading in bed forever had to go! He conceded. :O) He reminded me that being a doctor had been more glamorous when my dad was a newish doctor. He promised to take me on fun medical meetings with him to wonderfully new places like Thailand just like my parents did when they were younger. Bless his heart, he soothed my fears and somehow conveyed to me that we would do it our way, whatever that was. It would at least be interesting and fun even if some parts were very familiar. My parents with , I think, baby number four or five. Todd or Jason ?

I realized that while in someways we will be like my parents - which is a really good thing, in other ways, in some ways I need, we will be different. I guess I realized I am not quite ready to be a doctor's wife, but I am glad we are both being schooled now and prepared to someday be what we deep down really want to be. Us, with a few dashes of my mom and dad. :)

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

What great pics of your family and your parents. Having a husband for a doctor will be/is a very busy life, I'm sure. I am so thankful that there are good people willing to take care of us.

Kirsten said...

What an interesting insight and neat pictures. It was so fun to see your parents at different stages! I am glad that Stewart is enjoying his shadowing month so much and may be deciding for sure what he wants to do with the rest of his life. The title of "doctor" changes so much when you actually see what they have to go through day by day and year by year to get where they eventually end up. I am just grateful that there are good people in the world who are willing to dedicate their lives to do good for others and sacrifice time, sleep and some fun things too. Stewart will make a great doctor and you are making a great doctor's wife and both doing great things. WE love you guys!

Becca said...

Your posts are always so insightful!! You guys are doing a great job, Stew will make an amazing doctor!! You will be his support and his anchor! We love you guys!! These pictures were awesome!

Becca said...

haha, I think we are the same person. I freaked out yesterday because I was thinking about paying back med school debt and how doctors don't start paying it back for a good 10-13 years after they graduate from college, blah blah blah. I was all mad that my husband would choose a profession that would leave us with so much debt for so long. It took him like 2 hours to comfort me and convince me that doctors really are paid well and that as long as we were smart, the debt wouldn't have to consume our lives, and that we would live comfortably and that our kids would not be deprived. :)

Although sometimes, like today (since ty is spending the night at the hospital for the first time since we've been married) I'm all mad that he does everything a doctor does and yet not only doesn't get paid, he has to PAY to do it! :) Haha... I know that's the way it goes, but I also know you understand how frustrating that is. :)

Beth said...

Cool post. Although, if my husband smelled like my dad (in my case it would be car oil, gasoline and WD-40) I would NOT be able to handle it. I think it would creep me out.

Emily Rasmussen said...

I hope this didn't come across as me not liking my parents. I adore them and if I look back over my life and find that I am half as marvelous as they are then I will be very proud of myself. I mean just look at their pictures, they are wonderful! I really know very few people faithful enough to live the life my parents have - They had 12 kids for crying out loud! :)

Andelin said...

Great pictures. I know what you mean by the clean smell. It was the same for me. I'd love it if Lee read on the bed though because then I could at least read or lie next to him. He prefers the couch...bummer!

P.S. The baby is Jason, #5.