Thursday, November 3, 2011

This may seem odd...

But lately I have felt that it is so important to let people know my convictions about the things that matter most. To me that means the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all that it entails: Family, morality, and the reality of a loving Father in Heaven and His plan of Salvation.

Working with the youth in my church the past 7 months has reminded me what it was like when I was a teenager. EVERYDAY of my life I was attacked, mocked, and demeaned because of my beliefs. I had to stand alone so many times and just rely on the Lord to be my friend when I had none. I know the youth today are dealing with the same thing as they navigate through their lives. Lately I have felt that way a bit as I meet and make friends with more and more people who are not of my faith. I have been having more and more interactions like I did in high school. Here are a few from the other night, "Oh, seriously you can a have drink. I wont tell anyone!" and "Well, when your husband has an affair with a cute nurse then you wont be such a happy little family." and most of all "Wow, how can you stand having so many kids!". I realized as these comments were hurled at me that I am a bit out of practice with having to respond to negative comments about my life and values. I again feel those twinges of embarrassment and awkwardness when I am put on the spot to defend myself and morality.

This week as I have been pondering how I feel in a world where my perspective is now scoffed at as being trite, expired, completely backward, and to some they are even seen as threatening I have found such wise counsel in the talks our church leaders gave during our last general conference. In addition reading the New Testament in the book of Acts has been really a learning experience. Being mocked for being a follower of Christ is not new. And I feel a sense of resolve and also very encouraged.

I think the world is polarizing more and more to the degree that you can no longer sit on the side lines and procrastinate picking sides or even try to play for both teams. That is something I have never done but its a bit new for me as adult to defend myself so much. I think we all have to chose and then be ready to claim and defend our choices.

These are my favorite conference talks so far from this past session. I highly recommend listening to them! :O)

Niel L. Anderson - Children

Jeffery R. Holland- We are all enlisted

Thomas S. Monson - Dare to Stand Alone

Henry B. Eyring - Preparation in the Priesthood

David A. Bednar - Counsel to the Youth

Robert D. Hales - Waiting upon the Lord: They will be done

Boyd K. Packer - Counsel to Youth

So this is what I would say to the world if they asked... :) I believe that children are the crowning achievement of a couples life and that they are the entire purpose of mankind....the Family with its ancestors, and posterity link the ages of time together in meaning and purpose. And that the Temple of Jesus Christ makes it so we can make covenants with our Heavenly Father to ensure our family bonds will continue through all generations of time and be sealed together on into eternity. I know that there is a God who is our Spirit's father and that he provided us a Savior so we can repent of the mistakes we make so that we can progress to become like Him just as children here on earth aspire to grow to be like their parents. I Know that sin is real. That there is evil and that the great deceiver is real and that he strives to lead the hearts of men into darkness and misery so that we will be like him and so he can try and thwart the Plan of God which is that we progress to be like Him, God the Father. I know that if we pray and seek help that our prayers will be answered, that God hears us and will guide us into righteous paths that bring unmeasured joy in this life. I know that the family is a eternal unit, I know that we matter and our choices matter and that there is great purpose in this life and it isn't about gaining temporary pleasure. I know that good honest and faithful people are all around us who respect and love God and try to be good people. I know that God and Goodness will prevail and that it is only up to us to choice what side will we be on. I chose My Father in Heaven's side, I chose to testify of Christ and to defend light and truth all my life. I am on the Lord's side.

So to those who ask how I can I stand all my children I'd say, "I love them and consider it a great honor to be their mother and I will have as many as Gods wants me to have. It is the greatest work a women can do to be a mother." To those that mock my efforts to have a happy marriage and family I'd say, "My husband is not a man of the world and he never has been, there are good men in the world that cherish their wives and family and my sweet husband is one of them. We are committed to our goal of having a happy family and it will not only last our entire lives it will last for all eternity." And last but not least to those who can not understand why a grown adult would chose not to drink I'd say, "I do not drink. I never have and I never will. I promised God I would take care of my body and so I will and do."

The End! :O)

1 comments:

Cassidy said...

I can't believe people said those things to you!!!! Those people are just insecure with their own lives.
You're doing good girl!