Thursday, March 17, 2011

Match Day Finally Arrived!

So we set our alarms and got up early to get the whole family ready to be at the school before 8:45 when they recommended students arrive by....and well we sure were. We were a bit early. :) So Stewart seized the opportunity to teach the kids what it really takes to go to medical school -playing Foosball of course! ;)
After that we headed down to the party. They had it decorated all cute for St. Patty's day and their envelopes weren't envelopes at all but rather very lucky shamrocks. :)
After a cute little speech from that cute tiny lady who basically runs the medical school as far as I am aware because she is the only lady ever giving speeches, we finally got our "envelope"! We were so excited and so nervous...
Then we were shocked and happy...

We made it official and pinned it on the map...

ta da!...
Then we had to take a picture with the dead Irish man to celebrate...

And NOW we are trying to wrap our heads around the next two years ahead of us. Tucson was our number two choice but for some reason we didn't really give it much thought...we didn't think they would like us that much and the interview was right in the middle of a ton of other ones so it sort of got a bit forgotten. But when we made our list we just felt like it should be number two but that was all the thought we gave it.....Anyways, now we know where we will be going but we have to wait 15 months before we can get there. Nice and a little weird at the same time. Today while I sort of mourned all the places and fun identities we'd not get to assume like: Texans with big hair, big houses, big everything, or food snobs eating our locally grown organic food in picturesque Vermont, or imitation liberal "wineos" in Sac, or blue grass rocking hillbillies in Kentucky,....I thought about what we'd get to morph into as we assumed our new lives in Tucson. I was drawing a blank. Then it hit me as I flipped through the UofA Magazine and realized that EVERYONE in EVERY picture was wearing flips flops that we wouldn't really be morphing into anything. We were going to fit right in. Flip flops year round are exactly the kind of people we are. I think it will be an easy and very natural fit for us. I was hoping for exciting and maybe a little sophisticated change but easy and right is what we got. I guess in the long run that is good for us. Our family will thrive there and as a mother I couldn't ask for anything more. Arizonia here we come! You're going to love us, and I think we are going to love ya right back! :O)

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

Congratulations!!! So are you doing an intern year in Reno or what? Why 15 months???

Kara said...

I've been following your blog for some time now, but have never commented. I knew Stewart in High School and our families know each other really well. I just wanted to say Congratulations and you will LOVE Tucson! My husband and I moved there right after getting married almost six years ago so he could attend the UofA. We fell in LOVE with it and the people and still miss it after being gone almost three years! We made some wonderful memories and so will you!
Our ward received a lot of residents while we lived there. Mostly in anesthesia(I think the schools recommended the area? I'm not really sure how med school/residency works :)) It was a wonderful ward and we miss it!
I'm so excited for you guys! Congratulations again!!

Kara (Durham) Marx

Becca said...

Yay!! Congrats! Your match day was WAY cooler than ours. Penn just had this blah blah blah speech, then they called the students up there one by one by picking their names out of a hat, then you got your envelope and could either open it at your seat or you could leave to open it. Boring!! Then they had a bunch of alcohol in the lobby and it was SO LOUD. Anyway, shamrocks are way cooler. :) I'm so excited for you guys! Tucson is awesome!!

Bethany Dibble said...

Road Trip! I live in AZ! We need to get together. So excited for your new adventure. Miss you!