Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Movie Review

Life has been so crazy and busy. But I did want to blog about movies. I have been having late nights doing stuff for my business and thus watching movies while I glaze and such. I really love movies. My life long favs are old movies...that is what I was raised on, Oldies. I think that is why I am a little old fashioned, think we should break into song every time our mood shifts, and why I am a big time romantic. :O) Some of my favorites:

Seven Brides for Seven brothers - watched it last night as I glazed ceramics until 2:30 am!
Bringing Up Baby - the 30's black in white movie! Love it, It has Kathryn Hepburn and Cary Grant in it. Some of the best ever! It is really funny.


A&E's Pride and Prejudice - long but worth it! Best watched with sister's. :O)
The Court Jester - Fun and funny


Hello Dolly - The movie version with Barbra Streisand. This one is fun. Fun "old school" musical.
It's a Wonderful Life - Just love it, even when it's not Christmas time. Moving and happy. Meaningful for sure.
It Started With Eve - LOVE this one! SO funny!!! Happy ending and she has a great voice!


Recently I rented these two:

Lars and the Real Girl - this one is "A Whimsical, Funny, Moving Film!" I really liked it. It made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me happy, and it made me cry. It is a bit odd but very very pure and sweet. If you don't like oddness in your characters then skip it. One of my favorite parts is when all the old ladies at the church come to his home and bring him casseroles and SIT. "In time of tragedy this is what people do. They come and sit with you. Just sit. And bring casseroles too." Okay that is not the exact wording but it's something like that. They look so Mormon motherly and they all sit there knitting and I just thought that is exactly what I would want in "times of tragedy". Momish women to surround me and bring me yummy food and comfortably sit by my side.



Becoming Jane - I was disappointed in this one. The past few years I have really fallen out of love with sad endings. I hate thinking that life can be left undone, that people that are created in my movie world can be cut off in my consciousness in a sad state. It is very A & E ish (which to me was a good thing) But Stew swears he hardly knew what they were saying the whole time. I did think Anne Hathaway did a good job though. So if you like a movie that makes you sad and you have to really concentrate on what they are saying then you'd like this one.

4 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I love Bringing up Baby, one of my favorites. We just watched "What's Up Doc?", a very silly one with Barbara Streisand, that is also a screwball romantic comedy. We also had a hard time understanding some of the conversations in Becoming Jane. The ending was so sad. I'm with you. I prefer happy endings.

Becca said...

Thanks Emily!! I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Pride and Prejudiced(both versions), it's a wonderful life...but I better try the other ones!!! You're awesome!! Fun post!! I love it!!

Mallory said...

It's A Wonderful Life has been my favorite movie since I watched it for the first time in my 6th grade drama class. I could watch it every day for the rest of my life (but probably won't because then I wouldn't love it as much). I'm with you on the old classics. I love seeing how great movies could be even before all the new effects and technology.

Kirsten said...

I love having favorites to watch especially when Ammon is at the hospital...that is when I pull out the chic flicks! I must be kind of weird but I really like Becoming Jane...hated the ending, but loved the rest. I really, really love Seven Brides though...this was fun to get a glimpse of "you" through the movies you watch! Thanks for the suggestions!