Friday, November 9, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner Planning

So like many years since Med school and beyond I get to host Thanksgiving this year but this year is going to be special. This year we are going to have family join us. My sister and her family of seven will be making it a full house. In the past my big heart ached when I had to put on my own thankful meal because I'd get really get homesick for my family. Thankfully I have always had such wonderful friends to share the holiday with but this year I actually get some family! Anyways, I have this menu floating in my head that I sort of have this huge desire to write down and compile the recipes I am going to do as I research and find the ones I am needing to find and get ready to make the monster shopping list so that is what this is. If you see a place where I need a recipe please share with me your favorite. I love recipe recommendations!

Stuffing:I got this recipe from Stewart's Aunt Sue when we eat there for Thanksgiving. I totally fell in love with it! It is so dang good.
INGREDIENTS
3 cups boiling water
3 sticks butter melted
1 minced onion
1 1/2 to 2 loaves bread (white bread)
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. salt *if your butter is salted add less then given here
2 tsp. poultry seasoning or sage
3 Tbsp. parsley flakes
4 stalks celery diced
DIRECTIONS
Mix all together. If too dry just add more water. You can then stuff turkey with it or you can bake in a baking pan. Bake until turkey is cooked through and if in its own pan cook at 350 degrees until tops of bread are golden brown - I think this is best baked in a shallow pan  so you get lots of golden bred and its not soggy on the bottom.

Turkey: I have tried many different ways to cook a turkey. Brine, salt rub, butter coated, traditional.... But I think after all the turkeys I have cooked in my life probably about 10 I think I have found my favorite way. We'll see how it goes this year.

INGREDIENTS
Salt
Poultry seasoning
paprika
little bit of sugar
butter
large onion
Celery stalks
Big Turkey

DIRECTIONS
1.)With a completely thawed turkey the day before you want to bake it make a generous amount of rub using the dried seasonings listed above. Then rub that baby down. The insides, all of the outsides, and even a little under that skin. Wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in the bottom of your refrigerator on top a large layer of news paper.
2.) Then the next day about an hour and half before you bake it take it out and give it a chance to warm up a bit for that hour. Wash off the salt rub on its exterior and pat dry. Stuff it with coarsely chopped onion, and celery. With softened butter get messy and mush it under the breast skin to help keep the breasts moist. Then I sprinkle it with more paprika (it will give it a nice color). Then you can bake it how you like. I like using a turkey bag but to each their own.
*Make sure you time things right. It takes a long time to bake and then you want to let it rest before you serve it and you need time to make the gravy.
*With this method the gravy can be really salty so I like to have gravy mixes on hand to help me mix and play with flavor if needed.

Creamed Corn -I got this recipe from Stewart's Aunt Sue. It is so good you know its not good for you. My kids loved it!
INGREDIENTS
2 packages (10 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp. Salt
5 Tbsp. sugar
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I would probably omit this when I make it)
DIRECTIONS
1.) Combine all ingredients except the butter, flour, and cheese in a large pan. Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan.
2.) In a separate pan melt butter and add flour to make thickening. Slowly pour butter mixture into the corn mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a gentle boil.
3.)Pour into serving dish and enjoy.
*If you are adding the cheese then sprinkle on top and broil to brown the cheese and serve.

Sauteed Green Beans - Since I like to do the creamed corn I really don't think we need another super rich creamy side dish and I love vegetables so I want green beans but in a healthier simpler preparation.

INGREDIENTS
olive oil
onion
garlic
salt (or chicken bullion powder)
green beans

DIRECTIONS
Saute onions in oil then add the garlic after 30 seconds add the green beans. sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir, cover, and let steam. Stir occasionally remove from heat and serve when tender. If you like you can sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to sort of pretty them up and give a little kick.

Blueberry Jello Salad - This is a tradition from my childhood. It was my favorite thing about thanksgiving dinner growing up. I love this jello.

INGREDIENTS
1 large box jello (blueberry, strawberry, or whatever you like)
1 regular size can crushed pineapple
1 can blueberry pie filling
8 oz. package cream cheese
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. sugar
DIRECTIONS
Pour jello powder into 9x13 baking dish. Add 2 cups hot water onto jello and dissolve. Add pineapple w/ juice and pie filling. Refrigerate until set.
Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Beat cream and sugar and vanilla until it is a nice fluffy whipped cream. then mix in the softened cream cheese. Layer on top of jello. Refrigerate again.
Green salad  - just basic side salad-ness. Because if you add all the extras like cheese and such it will get soggy and then you have to throw it out and let me tell you your salad will not be totally eaten...not when there are so many other items to eat. So go simple and then have a healthy lunch ready to go the next day. I like to make homemade salad dressings for this: ranch, blue cheese, and a vinegrette. I make the dressings days before and I love having the left overs to use after he holiday for yummy salads.

Sweet Potatoes -

I need to find THE recipe for this. I never been in love with sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving but I don't dis-like them either. I like the way my father-inlaws family does them so maybe I will copy their way this year. But just as a side note when you have a baby this is their favorite thing to eat. :)

Pie-

of heavens, pie. to be honest I am not a big pie maker. They take so much time so that is the thing I delegate to others... Well I love love pumpkin pie so I always make sure to have a pumpkin pie.- plus that is an easy pie to make, or buy.:)  I think I will make an extra one so we have left overs of that one. But truly "You can bring a pie." is a favorite line of mine for my guests. That or rolls. My sister is doing both. Her hubby loves to make pies and she is buying us some lovely rolls and so I am glad to say those are covered. Phew!

******This is the place in my menu where I start to be filled with awe for my mother...how did she do it all!!! homemade everything every year! With two types of stuffing and five different pies, and rolls and fresh bread and then the items for the vegetarian crew so she has to make fried vegetarian meat too! Oh, my mom is going to heaven for all the service she has given us kids. bless her heart!

Relishes-

Cranny berry sauce - I am going to trader Joes and buying their nice kind. I wish I could make my own but I don't know w good recipe and to be honest I don't even like cranberry sauce very much and the canned kind is not happening so to Trader Joes we go! pickles (baby dill), olives (because when I was a kid we always had to put them on our fingers...its tradition!) , ...

Punch - I am going to do a fizzy cranberry and soda deal in the punch bowl like my mom did when I was growing up. We loved as kids helping make the punch and then getting to serve ourselves punch in our cute fancy cups.

Mashed Potatoes-

I need a potato masher and to get my mom's way of doing it...I cant remember if she did canned milk or just milk and butter and salt and pepper....need to check on that. If you have golden way please do tell!

What I need to buy for dessert: whipping cream for pies, and ice cream for pies, and egg nog.

1 comments:

Kirsten said...

Sounds delicious. I decided to be nice to myself this year and ordered a turkey, gravy and all the pies. Pregnancy means I hate to cook and I actually want to enjoy the holiday and family in town! Haha...I decided this year I am going to cook the things I enjoy cooking and let someone else do the things I don't!!...and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm happy you get family on Thanksgiving that will be fun!