Thursday, February 3, 2011

Grateful

Today Genevieve is two weeks old it makes me sad that she's only two weeks old and having to deal with so much. Poor little thing. But I am feeling really grateful that our stay in the hospital has gotten boring. The past couple days were filled with worry and stress but now it seems she is on the up swing and is getting stronger instead of worse. So instead of staring at her monitors and checking if she is blue or pink I am able to blog, watch TV and let the hours pass by without much event. The doctor rounded tonight and he said she has at least three more days on account of her need to be on IV antibiotics. I think it will be more then that as we have to slowly reduce her oxygen and get her off of it before we can go home and she is still on super high levels of oxygen. So today is day number five in the hospital and we will have at least an eight day stay. I wish things were different but really I feel very blessed with how things have worked out for us in this stressful time.

When Stewart told his aunt and uncle I was taking Genevieve to the ER they didn't even ask if we needed help they just started on their way to Reno. I am so grateful they didn't listen to me tell them not to worry and came anyways. They made super good time and met me at the ER. The ER was going to send us home until Aunt Sue saw the signs of her struggling and insisted that they hook her up to monitors to detect her oxygen levels and get her oxygen. Once they got monitors on her they realized her oxygen was 60-70%. If she hadn't been there I would have been sent home and then had to come back later with many hours of stress and risk for our baby. I am so grateful for their sensitivity and love in stepping in without being asked and taking care of the things that needed to be done.

Then we had the miracle of last night. Yesterday things were looking bad. She was struggling more and more. I could tell she was getting very fatigued. Everyone was on edge. We kept upping her oxygen only to have to up it more and more. She was getting so she wouldn't cry just whimper. Her breathing was so labored sometimes she would sort of just stop breathing and I'd have to pound on her back to try and get her to start breathing again. I started to get scared. The doctor said she was close to the line for being transferred to the larger hospital in Reno so she could be admitted to the pediatric ICU. He said as soon as she wouldn't eat she would be moved. We were praying so hard all day that she could make it through the night without getting worse. I pleaded with Heavenly Father that he would send angels to help give her strength to keep breathing, it just seemed clear to me that she didn't have enough energy to keep going on her own. Then something magical happened. She finally took a sound nap and slept so peacefully in my arms. When she awoke she was almost like a new baby she was starving and so pink and seemed alive again. It was a miracle. All night she was hungry and eating like a little champ. By the morning she was so much more healthy. The doctor was amazed.

Since then she just seems to be getting better and better. We are so grateful. We will be so happy to be home and together again as a family. The kids aren't allowed in her room so it has been really hard to ever see each other. I cant go far with her needing to eat so often. So I am lonely for my kids at home and my husband. Poor Stewart is getting a bit worn out from doing everything for the kids 24/7. He had already been Mr. Mom during the last month of my pregnancy and I was just recovering from labor and now this. I am so grateful for how patient he has been. I hope by the time we get to our anniversary the hospital and sickness is behind us and we can celebrate with the simple gift of being together again.

Thank you everyone for your prayers. I have felt them bless our little baby. I count them as what gave us our little miracle of Genevieve making a turn around. I am so grateful.

4 comments:

Karrasch Clique said...

What a little miracle. I am glad to hear she is making a turn around. Please if you guys need anything we would be happy to watch your kids.

AmyJane said...

I'm so happy things are looking up. What a rough start for such a little person. Take care of yourself, and let everyone else do the same, okay? Call me if you have time to kill at the hospital, I'd love to hear from you.

Becca said...

Oh Emily! We are glad that she's on the up end....You have all been in our prayers especially you and little Genevieve!!!! We love you guys!!!

Cassidy said...

Wow. I'm soooo glad you are on the up and up!! Oh the poor girl! I'm so glad you guys got that miracle. Thank heavens for a loving Father.
Stay strong. You inspire me.
Sorry this is late. I just noticed today you had posted on Thursday. I have been wondering how things are. Thanks for the updates!