Imagine we lived in a world where everyone wore a
That is how it feels for a mother with a lot of children (that are not in school). Everywhere she goes she gets comments. Mostly ones meant to be encouraging but often it just gets old. Sometimes you wish you didn't even have to think about what other people are thinking about you. Sure, we all like a good compliment and heaven knows a stay at home mom could use more then she gets but if I got a dollar every time someone said to me,"Wow, you sure have your hands full." we would not be in financial crisis right now. Then there are the even ruder compliments like, "Wow, you are such a patient mother. wow. I admire you." That may seem nice except that it insinuates that my children are so awful that my ability to not be screaming at them invokes awe.
I know there are worse things in life but just a little FYI to the rest of the world, if it isn't a full on compliment that doesn't insinuate that my kids seem like terrors and you are surprised I am not committing suicide right now, keep it to yourself. Its generally not helping anything by being said.
And there you have my venting about my Walmart experience today! ;O)
2020 goals
6 years ago
3 comments:
Something about having three kids seems to make these comments flow like water! Every single time we go out someone has something to say about how full my hands are! And that's when the kids are being GOOD. Hang in there....
It's funny...just a few short years ago I remember feeling that way too. Sometimes we still do but because you are the mother of four kids who will be all so close in age, elementary school is will such a crazy, fun experience. I remember thinking that my life was all babies and toddlers and it was so hard to go anywhere. I got looks and comments from everyone.
Then one day Ethan started kindergarten. Two years later, Brynlee did and now with just a third grader, today is my first morning wtih all four kids at school. It happened like a blink of an eye. Everyone was right. I didn't think it would pass so fast and it has.
Anyway, what I am saying is I know sometimes it is overwhelming and people make the comments and have no idea that it is actually really fun to have a lot of kids, but it does go fast and sometimes I wish I would have enjoyed it more. Know you are doing a great thing and that your kids will have have each other. No matter what people say, think of the future, twenty years from now when you are sitting at a family gathering, all your kids surrounding you, grandkids starting to run around and many people you love. That's what I picture when people make comments about the number of kids we have. I have kids who have each other and my life definately isn't boring because of it.
So hold your head up high in Walmart girlfriend!!!! ;-)
P.S. I am now starting to go through the trip pictures and I'll try and get them to you soon. Luv ya!
SO true, the comments are more prevalant outside of the state of Utah! I now understand!
Post a Comment