Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Review..Breaking Dawn

If you have not finished Breaking Dawn you might want to skip this as well as if you don't care what I think. :O) But here is my review after a couple hours to process it.

The other books left me feeling enthralled, excited, eager for more and this one left me feeling worn out. I didn't crave for more of Bella-ness, I felt done. Not that it was super negative, I didn't dislike Bella, but it was like I had my fill. So, basically I was disappointed. I wanted to finish with the same fulfillment I had with the seventh book of Harry Potter but I just didn't. Maybe it was too long....to much dragging on...I don't know. But more then anything else I was happy to have it read and over with because Stew and I were totally forgetting our parental duties for three days and it was getting bad! :) I vowed to Stewart that I wasn't picking up another book for a long time when we were done. The book wasn't that disappointing, it's just that I re-realized I am not, nor will I probably ever be an avid reader. No offense to you big time readers out there. I am sure that makes me less informed or intelligent or something but I will stick to running as my self rejuvenation method of choice. One thing I really liked though was reading with my sweet hubby. Stew is one that cries when things touch his heart. When the book talked about motherly things I was all crying and Stew would have to take over the reading but when there was some male bounding going on Stew would get choke up a bit. We thought it was pretty funny how predictable we became by the end. Speaking of predictable... I thought it was. Few things really shocked me. Once I realized the Stephanie Meyer was letting Bella have her way in everything the book held little fun and suspense for me. It felt like she had written this book thinking too hard about what readers wanted to have happen and less about what really would happen. Everything went too well and by the time her dad was all happy and apart of her Vampire world I was a little bugged. Yes, that was a happy thing you want for her, but come on! Anyways, it was a good book and I think it was finished in the only way that Bella could truly have her happily ever after, but I guess I was looking for more. I wanted a cause other then their love. (Maybe Romances aren't my fav book of choice then, eh?!?!?!) I really wanted that epic face off that I read a hundred pages of build up for to truly come to pass. I wanted the world to be a better place by their sacrifice and bravery. I wanted a earth shattering victory for good and not just a lingering sex scene!!! There you have it. Sorry that was a bit depressing. :O)

Let me know what you think. Maybe you can shine the light on the greatness I am not really seeing. :O)

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I overall was disappointed too. I did a rather lengthy review of it on my blog, so I won't repeat myself. But I also would have loved a big battle at the end. Who's to say that the Volturi wouldn't come back at another time? Too much sex in my mind for all the teens out there reading the book. While not my favorite of the Twilight series, it was still enjoyable and had me totally captivated. It's cool that you and your hubby read it together.
I do think that it took me a few days to digest everything that happened in the book. So many surprises and plot twists I wasn't expecting.

Cassidy said...

I'm not so disappointed as you, but I do agree with most of what you said. It was a little long, a little boring in some parts, and a little disappointing at times too. I don't know. I liked it, but by the end I wasn't craving for more. I was done. There definetly was a whole lot of sex that's for sure.