The past two months we have been potty training Benjamin. I was a little nervous to do it because it can be stressful especially with people randomly showing up to look at our house but lucky for us Benjamin did great.
The last two weeks he really took off and basically potty trained himself. He just started going all by himself whenever he needed to go. On Sunday he made it official when he wore his big boy underwear to church and did perfectly. By the end of the day he had filled his potty chart he"d been working to fill for the past weeks and then earned his special toy he picked out. A Star Wars bouncy ball!!!!! He loves it. :) He is so delighted with himself. I love how proud he feels about himself because it really was his determination that made it happen. He set a goal, he practiced it, he mastered it, and he loves getting all the recognition for his accomplishment. That is golden confidence building. :)
The big kids were really good coaches and cheer leaders too. Potty training a child with older brothers and sisters is easier then your first which is so awesome. Lots of things in parenting get easier as its your third and fourth child....life is more hectic but the tasks themselves get simpler. Bridger and Angeli were just as excited about each time he went potty in the toilet as he was and were just as proud of him too. I really appreciated their support of him.
So, Ben good job! You are so full of goodness. You are such a positive, hardworking, brave and steady little man. I love being your mommy. Here is our grown up boy! He is too cute. :)
This is my method of potty training that I think is the least stressful and practical way I have ever heard about. Plus my kids don't have accidents as much as some other kids...I give them a longer time to learn and decide to be potty trained and I think it pays off in the end. But each mom knows their kids the best so like with everything always do what feels right for your child.
1.) So I decided they might be mature enough to handle the responsibility of being potty trained and then I start educating them as to what being potty trained means. I read them little books about the steps to going potty. I show them little videos about potty training. If they genuinely seem excited about the concept then I go forward with it.
2.) I give them lots of opportunities to try and go. I let them pick out their own underwear and let them wear them whenever they want at home - letting them know that if they wear them they need to go potty in the toilet if then have an accident I put a diaper back on. I don't get upset when they have accidents. Its all part of the learning process. They need to realize that they need to pay attention to when they have to go and they need to go in the potty. I make a sticker chart and they pick out stickers for it and they pick out a toy that they win after they fill their sticker chart. I make my sticker charts long. Two stickers for number two and 1 for number one and I make sure its long enough that when they win their prize they are really truly potty trained. I also tell them they get two stickers for going in public bathrooms.
3.) If and when they get overwhelmed by the responsibility of it all I let them know its ok and that we can go back to diapers. It may feel like you are regressing but not really...it is all percolating in their heads and it will come. I really think they need time to absorb the reality of going potty in the toilet and decide they really want to do it themselves all the time. Some kids do this really fast and some kids take their time. But giving them lots of opportunities to decide and to keep trying is a great way to approach it. I try to never get mad at them and I try to encourage not pressure.
4.) After they get so they aren't having accidents at home anymore I take the lunge and say okay no more diapers - not even to stores or things. I find if they pee their pants at a store I am more easily upset with them and they get embarrassed with all those other people around when its a big deal and mess to clean up. That can really turn them off to potty training so I don't even go there until they are ready.
5.) Then after 7 to 10 days of them waking up in the morning with completely dry diapers I stop putting diapers on them at night. I am lucky that night training has been really easy for my kids. This can be a tricky one.
And then ta da! They've done it! And I don't think a kid is potty trained completely until the parent no longer has to ask them all the time if they have to go. Sure a lets go before we leave the house and a question when you are close to the bathroom at the store is great but for me it should be all on them for it to be official.
So those are my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt but I am grateful that it has worked for us and my kids haven't been traumatized or overly stressed by it.
2020 goals
6 years ago
2 comments:
look how big Benji is! So cute in his big boy pants! Glad to hear you guys are doing well :)
How 'bout I send you Kennedy and you finish potty training my THREE AND A HALF year old. Grrrr...I swear this child was sent to humble me. My method with Patrick was similar to yours. And it's what we did with her but it SO didn't work. She has had potty issues for a year and a half now, some willful, some not.
Anyway, enough of my ranting. I'm happy for you that things went so smoothly, especially with all you have going on in your life right now!
Post a Comment