There has been a lot of romance at Bridger and Angeli's preschool. It all started a week ago when a mom pulled me aside and asked if I was Bridger's mom. When I told her I was she proceeded to tell me about her daughter's and my son's relationship. I'd never heard a word from Bridger about it. She told me that Emmie and Bridger were "boyfriend and girlfriend". She said that her daughter talks about him all the time and about how she loves him and how they are going to get married and kiss. That's when the teacher joined in and told me about how they are the class sweethearts and that the other day they were about to kiss in class and she had to stop them. It was news to me. The mom said her husband would be glad to know that Bridger came from a good family. HA! that was really funny to me...but I can sort of understand there are some kids who's moms pick them up a little high. Anyways, when we got home I tried to talk to Bridger about it. He said she was in love with him so then he "caught love with her". So I got a good laugh out of it told him we don't kiss romantically until we are 16 years old. He said okay and that was that.
Then today when I picked the kids up the teacher told me that Bridger has gotten in big trouble for poking another child in the eye. When we were driving home he explained why, "Mom I was so frustrated today! Noah fell in love with Angeli and he was holding hands with her! They were dancing and he said that he was her boyfriend and it made me so mad. She cant have a boyfriend and now she has two! So I poked him in the eye!" This was news to me that she had a boyfriend let alone two! I'm seriously wondering what is going on at the preschool that everyone is "falling in love" all over the place! So then I had to have a talk with both kids. They told me that they wanted to kiss and have boyfriends and girl friends and I tried to explain why they shouldn't.
While they sat there talking about their relationships with Noah and Emmie it felt so weird. "Mom I like Noah and I like dancing with him" - batting her huge beautiful blue eyes as she talked about him. I was a little amused and terrified at the same time. When on earth did my kids start thinking like this?!?! When did my babies get so 4 going on 14 ish and 3 going on 13 ish?!?!?! Oh, the teen years are going to be interesting. I can tell already!
Well, I am going to have a talk with their teacher and find out what is going on. I am hoping that with winter break for the next two weeks this preschool love bug will have passed by.
2020 goals
6 years ago
2 comments:
I am hugely opinionated about this subject--I'm sure you're shocked! :) While I think it's *cute* when little kids hold hands and act cutesy together, I think the adults in this world lend way too much credence and lingo to the idea of love and boy/girl friends. I get a little worked up about this. I just feel that the age of innocence is so short and when we, even jokingly, talk to kids about being in love, or having a relationship, it grows them up too fast.
I'm not saying that you're doing this, in fact it sounds like you have a plan to put the brakes on--it's mostly just a general cultural thing. Patrick's preschool teacher recently mentioned to me that he had a *crush* on one of the high school helpers. When I quizzed him down about it, it became clear that he is fascinated with Ashley because she knows all the songs from Phineas and Ferb, and the ribbons in her ponytail always match her shirt. Nothing sexual, romantic, or lovey in any way about that. He just thinks she seems like a fun person to know. I casually told the teacher about this and made sure to use language in front of him about how he thinks Ashley is a "really fun person." Not even a fun *girl* cause even that has connotations.
Ah, growing up kiddos. It's a whole new world, and I'm starting to see my job as more and more being that of the watchdog that keeps the world's influence at bay!
oh dear...i think im with you...i wouldn't know what to think about it...i would want to laugh but at the same time stop the whole thing. I sorta liked what Amyjane said...i don't like the young love thing...or whatever it is. good luck, i am sure you will figure it out and it will all pass, hopefully! but sorta funny in its own little way. im probably not even making sense! hahaha
p.s. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Post a Comment