Friday, July 23, 2010

It's a Long Road with Many Tests

My Father- in-law shared this quote with Stewart and I. Elder Russell M. Nelson said:

"As stake president I was questioned by many young people about their own educational pursuits. Some asked me how long it took to become a doctor of medicine. ‘The general pattern would be four years at a university, followed by four years in medical school,’ I replied. ‘And if you choose to become a specialist, that could take another five years or more, depending upon your desire.’

“That occasionally evoked a reaction: ‘That adds up to thirteen years-and maybe more? That’s too long for me!’

“‘It all depends,’ I would respond. ‘Preparation for your career is not too long if you know what you want to do with your life. How old will you be thirteen years from now if you don’t pursue your education? Just as old, whether or not you become what you want to be!’

“So my counsel then-and now-is to continue your education wherever you are, whatever your interest and opportunity, however you determine you can best serve your family and society.”

I thought that was pretty great. Today I needed to reread it. Very often people ask us about the process of becoming a doctor. Lately I have hated talking about it. Often it goes like this, "Wow, Stewart is in his last year of medical school! He will be a doctor soon!" - they are so happy for us and talk and talk about how we'll soon have lots of money and that's when I have to break it to them. That nothing could be further from the truth. They sort of stare at me with huge eyes and I know they are secretly thinking, 'No wonder I never wanted to be a doctor, its craziness!' Becoming a doctor is not a cake walk by any means.

When I headed to BYU there were a few things I was sure on. These were two: I wasn't getting married young and I was not going to marry a boy who wanted to be a doctor. HA! ;) But it has been great. I think I really was cut out for this life. I love my life. I am very grateful for all of it. Even the ugly hard things, I wouldn't wish them away.

But here we sit starting fourth year feeling so close to the end while simultaneously feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of starting residency. We have completed seven years of Stewart's training and now realize we have seven more to go. I hardly feel like celebrating anything. Instead I feel really tired. Half way through 14 isn't that fabulous of a feeling especially when you are slightly depressed due to your funky pregnancy hormones. It just feels like a VERY VERY long road with many tests along the way.

Tomorrow Stewart takes a HUGE test figuratively and literally. It takes nine hours to complete and it will play a role in where we go to residency. I hope it goes well. Pray for him please. :)

But for Today I am going to try and embrace the fact that in seven years I will be 32 years old no matter what and I'd rather be 32 married to a real doctor then not be. And now that I think about it, 32 is still young. So there! ;)

3 comments:

Karrasch Clique said...

On a positive note...I will be 34 if that makes you feel better :) I do have to say that it is a HUGE time commitment and trial for a family! But I am excited to get past the schooling part and into residency. I think we have a bit of an advantage becasue we had to live completely husband free for 18-26 weeks this year and that has got to be harder than 80hrs/week right? Plus, I feel like when Chris is actually doing the work that he wants to be doing he is so much happier when he gets home and his energy levels are so much better. So at least we can look forward to that. Good luck to Stew tomorrow. Chris takes his next Wednesday and then I am driving him our the east for 8 weeks :)

Becca said...

I totally hear this post. Ty just passed his hump day (post BYU). 4 years of med school + 1 year of residency, and then another 2 years of residency + 3 years of fellowship. We're half way done! :) Good luck with the test. I picked up Ty after his and he looked like had been through a war zone. In basketball shorts.

You'll do great :)

Amy said...

Oh Emily~ I forget sometimes what a young thing you are!!!! I am older than your OLD 32 yrs and having bb #4. Life does indeed proceed whether you plan for it or not, feel prepared or not and as long as you realize the Lord is at the wheel you are free to enjoy the ride~

BUT HOLD ON WITH BOTH HANDS CLASPED IN PRAYER!!!!