Thursday, May 26, 2011

There will be a corner of heaven that is patterned after Nevada

Realizing that we only have one more year here in Nevada we have started to do some of the "Nevada" things we have always wanted to do but never have. First on our list was visiting Pyramid Lake. When people talked about pyramid lake they seemed to only talk of tubing and skiing and such so I only thought of it in that light. But when I looked it up online in preparing to go I was surprised to find that it was owned by a native american tribe and that there were many Native American legends that go along with the lake. When we got there it was so interesting to me how strongly that came across. It did have this spirit/vibe that was exotic and dramatic and it seemed so ancient. The vastness of the endless sky and the great expanse of water was so striking. It was a wonderful day letting the kids play on the beach, gathering treasures of many fun colored rocks, shells and feathers, taking pictures, having a picnic and taking in nature. It is just an hour away from home and it was really fun. I hope we can make it out there again before me move. I hope to go earlier next spring to get tours of the fisheries when the fish are spawning and to see the thousands of pelicans that migrate there every year to nest - we missed them by about a month this time. It was so aw-inspiring I decided that this is what I will miss most about Nevada's scenery; the giant sky against the dry earth and the blue water all set in this majestic raw balance that is uniquely Nevadan. Oh, it makes me sad just thinking about it. Soon we'll just have dry earth and huge skys. ;) Anyways, here are some beautiful pictures - if I were a real photographer they would be good enough to take your breath away.












This picture was so telling to me of Nevada. The tummble weed blown up on the beach like that. So Nevadaish. So much like home for me.

0 comments: