Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dear 2011,

Dear 2011,

Listen, it has been good so far but honestly I am done with the ER well, hospitals in general when I really think about it. So if we can agree that I have hit my quota for a while I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Emily


*Stewart had his tonsils out on Monday morning. Everything went really well. Then last night as he was talking he felt something crack in his throat and he started hemorrhaging blood from his old left tonsil sight. Man, it was a lot of blood. I rushed him to the ER and right as we pulled up his bleeding stopped. They checked him in fast - holding a mixing bowl filled with blood will do that for you. But the register lady threw out the blood in the bowl. Silly lady. I guess she didn't like looking at it. So when the doc saw us and Stewart had clotted up they sent us home. We tried to tell them he had bled a lot but they said it seemed fine and to go home. We felt a little stupid for going in and hoped it was just a fluke thing. Well, an hour later the clot dislodged and we were off for round two at the ER. This time it was a bit more bleeding and he was still bleeding when we got there. - It was pretty scary watching my husband spitting and coughing up blood like that. I would inwardly freak out when he would throw up from all the blood in his stomach. This time when the doctor came in the room he took one look at Stewart and his giant bowl of blood and said "I am calling the surgeon." and was off getting things in place for Stewart's care. Stewart started to get really light headed from losing so much blood and he was hooked up to an IV and was taken off to surgery to re-cauterize the wound. It was a LONG night. We got home 5:30 am just as the sun was peaking up over the hills. I am so grateful for my dear friend for coming over twice in the night despite all her own children at home and rocking my little baby and making sure my kids were safe so I could be with Stewart. She was the one who saved the day with Genvieve's hospital stay and I am so glad I have someone I can call no matter the time or day. Stewart is doing alright. He is in a lot of pain and is super drained. So our take home lesson...think long and hard about semi-elective surgeries. You could be in for more then you are bargaining for. Oh, and when it says stay in bed for two to three days and slowly increase activity. Listen.